Who said Bettas hate tank mates

Sep 20, 2010
I have a tank with 1 almost solid red betta and 3 otos in a 5 gal. I just started trying to feed the otos with algae discs since I'm concerned that there won't be nearly enough food for them.
This weekend I dropped a disc in to come back after the two hours they tell you to wait and gauge how much they ate. When I came back I see the otos wandering around the tank cleaning rocks or stuck to the driftwood busily cleaning it. My betta (Red) was poised over the algae disc flaring at it and occasionally attacking it. While I watched he would go next to the otos that were close to it stop, and touch them with his back fin scaring all of them but the biggest one whom he little sat on like a hen to get him to move. I'm watching this going "what is he doing?" until I released he was HERDING them away from the scary disc.
I thought you all should know, it made my weekend to watch it.

Aug 16, 2009
SW Pennsylvania
Not all bettas hate tank mates. It really depends on the betta's personality, although a general rule of thumb is to not house bettas with any aggressive or nippy fish or fish with long fins. The idea that bettas hate tank mates is one of the many, many falsehoods surrounding fish keeping.
Cute story. ^ ^

Sep 20, 2010
I just got the other two otos this weekend before that I would see him go by and do that and try to get the oto to chase him. I never knew bettas had so much personality. Red greets me when I come home, is always near an opening on the hood if I am in hopes of food I expect and if you wiggle your finger at him he will wiggle his back end and fins at you.

ryanoh

Large Fish
Mar 22, 2010
I had a betta all through my first year of college, and I was surprised at how much of a personality he had. I have a female betta in my community tank now, and same thing. Bettas probably are one of the coolest fish.

bassbonediva

Superstar Fish
Oct 15, 2009
Northern Arizona
Most male bettas will tolerate bottom feeders (cories, otos, snails, etc), but aren't good with active, rowdy tankmates like danios, tetras and the like.

Female bettas are a bit more relaxed about their tankmates, although I have heard of some females (and had a couple) who don't like tankmates. Right now I have two female bettas with an angelfish in my 55gal and I have absolutely ZERO nipped fins, no clamped fins (indicative of stress), no faded colors (another indicator of stress), no hiding, absolutely no indications of stress or aggression. However, these same girls who love Caius, the angelfish, absolutely will not tolerate another female betta in the tank.