what kind of fish is this?

Aug 16, 2010
Sagamihara, Japan
Long story short.... a friend pretty much won this fish on a crane game and well, gave it to me. Ive been googling and trying to figure it out. It is maybe an inch right now and to me it kinda looks like a green sotted puffer but id rather get some help on figuring this out. Sorry I know its not a great picture but I just want to get the little guy out of the temporary home he came in

bassbonediva

Superstar Fish
Oct 15, 2009
Northern Arizona
I agree with Twiggles...looks like a green spotted puffer to me.

Here's some info on them:
GreenSpottedPuffer.net
Green Spotted Puffer
Green Spotted Puffer Profile (TROPICAL FISH ARTICLES)
Spotted Green Pufferfish, Spotted Green Puffer, Green Spotted Puffer, Spotted Puffer, Tetraodon nigroviridis
Green Spotted Puffer - Tetraodon nigroviridis

Basically, the green spotted puffer (GSP) is a brackish fish that requires salt (marine salt, not aquarium salt) in the water to survive. They aren't full-on saltwater fish, but do require some salinity to their water. They generally get to be about 6" long, require a minimum 30gal tank, and should ideally be kept alone as they can be very aggressive. They are also very sensitive fish that require that there be absolutely no traces of ammonia or nitrites in their water.

bassbonediva

Superstar Fish
Oct 15, 2009
Northern Arizona
Okay, I might recind that...apparently figure eight puffers and green spot puffers look EXTREMELY alike when they're young (which your guy is). From what I read, the main difference when they get older is that GSPs get bigger and more aggressive.

Aug 16, 2010
Sagamihara, Japan
Alright so I did google more and asked a few ppl here what he might look like, and it was a pretty close tie. The bad part is he was pretty much given to me in one of those plastic things u find bettas in at the stores with tap water he had just changed. So im not sure how this fish was living before, oh and I forgot to mention he did come with instructions but in Japanese and sadly I can't read it. But help with that too that would probably help. So for now with my very limited resources he's in a 20g tank, lots of plants, rocks and a giant cave, 73 degrees and sadly im a beginner at this. Any advice or tips or anything that will help is greatly appreciated, thank u all :)

techmynd

Medium Fish
Sep 15, 2010
Thank you very much.
I am new to the fish and aquarium.
I have been researching a lot.
I know now that I have:

2 fantail goldfish (little fat one guys - orange white)
2 red and white koi or goldfish (don't know these are koi or goldfish or butterfly goldfish)
2 pleco janitor algae eaters
2 tinfoil barbs
2 white koi fish
2 white and yellow koi fish
2 bala sharks (added later)
2 albino rainbow sharks
2 red wag platy (thanks to newman)

Here is the updated video with bala sharks
YouTube - baby Sharks

I am pretty much sure about these. Only one confusion.
2 red and white koi or goldfish???
Are these koi (coy) fish types or these are also goldfish...or butterfly goldfish...two big guys with large fins in red and white colors.

Thanks for help in advance.

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
the big red-white goldfish are comet goldfish. those and the koi should be moved into a pond eventually. in about a year i'd say move them to a pond. otherwise they will die too early because they'll get stunted from limited space. in about a year you should also move out the bala sharks as those get wuite big too. they need a bigger aquarium, around 100gallons when fully grown.

your tinfoil barbs are some sort of tetra...white skirt tetra i think..

techmynd

Medium Fish
Sep 15, 2010
Big Aquarium

Thank you so much.
Now I know all my fish.
I am a beginner. After couple of months I am going to purchase a bigger fish tank. Today however I am going to purchase a under gravel filter and an internal submersed water filter which I did not have yet. *twirlysmi
My tank is getting dirty twice in a week currently. I need filters. I posted some images and this problem in the equipment > essential equipment thread.

techmynd

Medium Fish
Sep 15, 2010

These are sharks but are these Paroon Sharks? Are these omnivores and will eat anything? I do not have these but my friend have got these and he kept these in my fish tank for one day. He has got Bala Sharks, Angels, Koi, Albino Rainbow Sharks, Scissortail Rasbora and some other fish. We need info on these sharks. The guy at pet shop said they won't eat or disturb any other fish. These are aggressive and swim all the time from one corner to another.
What is the difference in between blueline shark, Naja Shark and Paroon Shark?
Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

bassbonediva

Superstar Fish
Oct 15, 2009
Northern Arizona
I agree with Newman (again :p ). Those look like iradescent sharks, or pangasius catfish. They are true tank-busters as well as being aggressive. They get to be well over 3 feet in length (almost 4 feet in most cases) and are VERY active. The minimum tank size recommended for these fish is 300 gallons, larger being more preferable.

Iridescent Shark Catfish, Pangasius Catfish

bassbonediva

Superstar Fish
Oct 15, 2009
Northern Arizona
What size tank are the fish in, techmynd?

You also realize that your 22gal is WAY overstocked with two goldfish in it, right? Goldfish need a minimum 20 gallons for the first fish and 10-20 gallons (depending on who you ask and your filtration) for each goldfish after that.

techmynd

Medium Fish
Sep 15, 2010
My friend has got couple of big tanks i do not know exactly how much gallons i will ask him.
I have bought 120 gallons tank and i have got 3 new fish in it i do not know about.
I need help.

Are these sabaya fish (03) and Scissor-tail Rasbora (04)?

Which rasoboa?

What are these fish? Pink one (01) and the other one (02).

New 120 gallons tank video
YouTube - 120 gallons tank 1