Well crap..RIP green sunfish

brian1973

Superstar Fish
Jan 20, 2008
Corpus Christi, Texas
Well I got up this morning, and part of my routine is waking up my fish, the green sunfish would typically sleep in a log until he saw me moving around, then come out and greet me, he really had a great personality..even better than the Oscars, he was almost like a puupy. Well I went to wake him this morning and nothing, well I went to look into the log and he was laying behind it. I never really had a connection to a fish and this hit me abit harder than I expected almost to the point were I was going to say F--- it and get rid of all my tanks, I was pissed..then I realized it was probably my fault, when I changed the water last night I forgot to add prime to his tank because I was distracted when I was filling it. So I still havent decided for sure what to do here. Might just tear down that tank because I honestly dont think any other fish will be as pleasant to watch as he was. Maybe in a few days I will feel different but right now I am undecided.

PlecoCollector

Superstar Fish
Aug 21, 2005
Clinton, NY
I'm sorry, I know exactly how you feel.

My only advice is to step back, breathe, and try to focus on your other fish. I'm still hungup over my Zebs, but when my dad sent me a picture of the new one, I felt a little better. This may sound cheesy, but it was like I remembered that other one, and the other fish I have, needed my attention too. There have been MANY times when I've been so fed up with my tanks that I wanted to throw my hands up and get rid of them, but I always end up getting pulled back (hence the tank now in college). So give it some time, lay low, and maybe consider getting yourself a new sunfish to "brighten" up your tank (haha, BAD pun).

Big Vine

Elite Fish
Feb 7, 2006
Florida
Sorry for the loss, Brian.
I know what you mean about the green sunnies and their personality...
Maybe you could catch another (if they have em' where you're at)?

Then again, once you've had time to step back from the situation and put things into perspective, you might decide that now is a good chance to start with something new and different...something you haven't tried before but were always curious about. That's what I'll be doing with the turtle setup I've got planned for the new year (I've never kept turtles before, so it'll be a fun new experience...I hope, lol).

Main thing is to just not rush right back into anything.
Think things through, come up with a plan (or not), and then execute!
BV *thumbsups

brian1973

Superstar Fish
Jan 20, 2008
Corpus Christi, Texas
Sorry for the loss, Brian.
I know what you mean about the green sunnies and their personality...
Maybe you could catch another (if they have em' where you're at)?

Then again, once you've had time to step back from the situation and put things into perspective, you might decide that now is a good chance to start with something new and different...something you haven't tried before but were always curious about. That's what I'll be doing with the turtle setup I've got planned for the new year (I've never kept turtles before, so it'll be a fun new experience...I hope, lol).

Main thing is to just not rush right back into anything.
Think things through, come up with a plan (or not), and then execute!
BV *thumbsups
Yea I am thinking about what I want to add, was thinking SW but to expensive on my budget, probably going to buy a pair of cons for it this weekend until I decide what I want the full tiem occupants to be. Still need to feed my O's so I figure a few cons would be a good use of the space for now. Turtles can be alot of work but I am sure you know that from research, kingsnake.com is a good place to look for info on herps.