Wanting to make a DIY stand.

Apr 13, 2011
Hello, I am here because i am wondering what type of wood is best for a DIY stand. The size of the stand is going to be able to hold a 60 Litre tank, i still yet have to go and get the measurements from the local fish store.

But if anyone can tell me measurements it will be truly appreciated. :)

Some Questions:confused:
How strong does it have to be "Kg Wise"?
What type of wood is best and nicest that you recommend?
What is a estimate of the cost of this project?

I will also be doing some research on this, i just want to hear your oppinions, im not being lazy :)

Appreciate anyones help!

MyFishyTank

ryanoh

Large Fish
Mar 22, 2010
I recently built a stand, and I kind of did a how to thing in the DIY forum as I was doing it if you want to check that out. There was some debate about if I should have used pressure treated wood or not, but I just used regular 2x4s and skinned it with plywood. I'm not sure the exact size of a 60 litre, but it should be around the same size as a 15 gallon 20 1/4 L x 10 1/2 W x 18 3/4 H in inches.

Google around a little bit for about how to put the wood together because it'll be way easier for you to see it that way than for me to explain any of it, but feel free to ask any questions.

Feb 10, 2011
Land O Lakes, FL, USA
Just use 2 x 4 and skin it with stain ready plywood. Use a half lap for the joints so the weight is borne by the wood making up the legs and not just the nails/screws that fasten it. Plus it will give a flat surface for the plywood skin without any "pockets" inside the stand. Don't use pressure treated for any part of it. Also the bottom rails shouldn't be directly on the floor. The four legs should be the only thing on the floor.

Since it's only a 15 gallon tank you could also just build it out of 3/4 plywood just like you would a regular cabinet. Dados and Rabbets to hold the shelf/shelves and a plywood back in a rabbet to prevent racking. Face frame for aesthetics.

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2011
I recently built a stand, and I kind of did a how to thing in the DIY forum as I was doing it if you want to check that out. There was some debate about if I should have used pressure treated wood or not, but I just used regular 2x4s and skinned it with plywood. I'm not sure the exact size of a 60 litre, but it should be around the same size as a 15 gallon 20 1/4 L x 10 1/2 W x 18 3/4 H in inches.

Google around a little bit for about how to put the wood together because it'll be way easier for you to see it that way than for me to explain any of it, but feel free to ask any questions.
Thank-you for your reply, i will google around but also i am most likely going to go into the store and measure up the tank. I appreciate the measurements and ill even make my own making of this. thanks again really appreciate it!

Apr 13, 2011
Just use 2 x 4 and skin it with stain ready plywood. Use a half lap for the joints so the weight is borne by the wood making up the legs and not just the nails/screws that fasten it. Plus it will give a flat surface for the plywood skin without any "pockets" inside the stand. Don't use pressure treated for any part of it. Also the bottom rails shouldn't be directly on the floor. The four legs should be the only thing on the floor.

Since it's only a 15 gallon tank you could also just build it out of 3/4 plywood just like you would a regular cabinet. Dados and Rabbets to hold the shelf/shelves and a plywood back in a rabbet to prevent racking. Face frame for aesthetics.
thank-you very much, this will help me heaps through out this project

Feb 10, 2011
Land O Lakes, FL, USA
thank-you very much, this will help me heaps through out this project
You're welcome. Heck it might even come out cheaper to just buy a kitchen cabinet to put that tank on. Yeah, I know full well about the "joy" of building it yourself.

I know standard cabinet construction will hold that tank. I am in the process of building a built in library for my computers and books. It spans 2 walls in a spare bedroom and is floor to ceiling. I have a cabinet that's 22" tall to house my computers and bookcases the rest of the way to the ceiling. Those books plus the bookcase itself weighs way more than a 20 gallon tank and I have no problem with the weight. And it's put together with a plywood carcass, solid wood face frames and glue. No mechanical fasteners at all.

One important thing to remember however. Your joints must be snug and 3/4 inch plywood isn't 3/4 of an inch. It's thinner.
OK so it's 2 important things. Sue me. :)

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2011
You're welcome. Heck it might even come out cheaper to just buy a kitchen cabinet to put that tank on. Yeah, I know full well about the "joy" of building it yourself.

I know standard cabinet construction will hold that tank. I am in the process of building a built in library for my computers and books. It spans 2 walls in a spare bedroom and is floor to ceiling. I have a cabinet that's 22" tall to house my computers and bookcases the rest of the way to the ceiling. Those books plus the bookcase itself weighs way more than a 20 gallon tank and I have no problem with the weight. And it's put together with a plywood carcass, solid wood face frames and glue. No mechanical fasteners at all.

One important thing to remember however. Your joints must be snug and 3/4 inch plywood isn't 3/4 of an inch. It's thinner.
OK so it's 2 important things. Sue me. :)
Sounds like a very big project:) and a fun one two. Hope to see some Pictures of it soon :D

Feb 10, 2011
Land O Lakes, FL, USA
Sounds like a very big project:) and a fun one two. Hope to see some Pictures of it soon :D
I didn't think it was all that big. However health related problems has dragged it on for over 1 year. And that's killing me. I want to see it finished.
I was strictly an oil based finish type guy however since I was doing this in an attached garage I couldn't have the fumes in the house at all. Especially with a young one around. Lowes had Zinser water based poly on clearance. I bought all they had left. 3 coats of gloss with 2-3 of satin. Suuuwwweeettttt.
I am a convert for sure. Certain projects will still get oil however. Just a lot fewer.

Now back to your regularly scheduled tank stand build.

Last edited: