Views on Fishing

Denther

Large Fish
Feb 26, 2011
USA
I was curious as to what everyone's view on fishing was.

I don't really consider it a sin or anything like that but I'm never fond of the idea of hooking a poor little fishy in the mouth, slicing him up, and deep frying his remains.

I recently got back from fishing and caught probably about 10 fish and tried to save all of them from being "cleaned" and eaten by the rest of my family. They happily took home their fish and cleaned the fish and fed all of the fish to the family, including me. Should I feel bad about this?

This is probably a stupid question but I was just wondering what everyone else thought about this.

May 30, 2011
I personally dont think there is anything wrong with fishing. Millions of people do it and most of my family do it. You gotta also realize that to some people fishing is a way of means to feed there family etc. So I guess its all about how you look at it. As far as feeling bad, I personally would'nt. But im sure others disagree.

Lionel

Small Fish
May 24, 2011
I like to fish. Mostly I catch and release, just because I'm too lazy to clean and cook fish most of the time. It's a great way to get outdoors and blow off steam.

Denther

Large Fish
Feb 26, 2011
USA
I'm not vegetarian. I love meat (especially bacon, beef, ham, and sausage). Just curious what others thought. I do enjoy fishing but I will never clean them myself. I'll eat what others clean though.

I'm not telling anyone they should stop. I agree that it is many people's source of food and is also a great hobby.

Thanks for the thoughts!

Nov 5, 2009
CT
i've got about 12 pounds of trout on my freezer. lol. ive been fishing since i was 2. i release sometimes in certain situations, for example there is this lake near my house where i go bass fishing. i always release there because they don't stock it so it's important to preserve a breeding population. but to answer your question yes fishing is fine and anyone who tells you otherwise is silly

tom91970

Superstar Fish
Jan 2, 2007
Tejas
www.myspace.com
I fish from time to time, but it's usually catch and release. In two days I'll be going to Arkansas for my annual 30 mile canoe trip on the Buffalo National River. You can bet I'll be fishing, and this year I plan on eating some of what I catch. Bought a fillet knife the other day, now I just need to quicly learn how to fillet some perch!

Jun 23, 2011
No, this is nothing to worry. This is what human life is about and if we think it’s a sin we can’t eat anything even vegetables and I fishing is one of my hobbies too.

Kiara1125

Superstar Fish
Jan 12, 2011
Florida
I used to fish but I feel bad about it too now (even before this conversation started, lol) and I don't even like to eat fish. Now I just go with my dad and while he fishes I go off and feed the fish the "bait" that I bought. lol

May 4, 2011
Ohio
I don't see any problem with it unless you are torturing the fish or purposely causing them extended pain and suffering. I prefer if all my food died naturally or was killed humanely but this is not always possible, in my case probably never possible. I like to think of it this way though, studies show plant life has a simple nervous system, ergo plants feel pain. We have also proved that plants can detect when people are even thinking of harming them. Think about that nice tasty salad full of many organisms that not only felt pain while they were being killed, they knew it was going to happen.

Again I would prefer humane slaughter or natural death but I myself cannot ensure that. I have never been fishing or hunting but I plan on doing so in my lifetime. Unfortunately if nearly anything wants to eat and survive something has to die and possibly feel pain, humans are absolutely not an exception. I do however feel strongly about torturing an animal to death so you can eat it, just disrespectful and ill-mannered, those people should be subject to the same pain and fear.

Denn

New Fish
Jul 17, 2011
I'm all against the idea of hooking up the fish. Do you guys realize that fish like all living beings will also feel the pain inflicted upon them?

Lionel

Small Fish
May 24, 2011
I really don't think fishing is cruel. If you want to split hairs, the money spent on fishing licenses is spent on managing healthy populations of fish. Without your state's game and fish department, bodies of water would likely not be maintained and many species would be extinct.
Also, catch and release is not always the best option. If you catch a fish who has swallowed a hook and is bleeding internally, they have almost no chance of surviving if released. In a lot of bodies of water it's best to harvest particularly young or particularly old fish to allow more resources to mature breeding fish.
And if you think it hurts a fish's feelings to be caught, looked at, maybe eaten, you're anthropomorphizing. Fish are not people. They don't get butthurt and they don't listen to emo and sulk.

Last edited:

Kyra

New Fish
Aug 22, 2011
The only type of fishing that bugs me is mass-harvesting, mass-netting or mass-electrocution. I do not know how many years it takes fish to mature to a breeding age, and then become old enough to meet the pre-requisites for edibility, but snagging giant schools of fish daily seems to bug me a bit, considering there is a high chance that said fish are never completely eaten, and perhaps too many are interrupted from allowing their species to continue the cycle. It takes awhile for fish to mature to breeding age, and a couple million are caught every day, including those who have not even bred yet.