vacation

exhumed07

Superstar Fish
Apr 30, 2006
Illinois
Well i went out of town to my brothers for Christmas. tanks didn't do to bad alone for a week. plants lost lot of leaves not having light the whole time but will come out of it of course. looks like all my cichlid fry made it. lost one cichlid in my 55 but not the one I've expected to die for the past few weeks. it was my red shoulder peacock which as far as i could tell was perfectly healthy when i left. go figure lol. and also i had a guppy drop while i was gone. think that might have saved them was feeding on the fry ant eating eachothers tails. but happily no drama when i got home. was thinking the whole way home that i was going to come home to a house smelling of dead fish lol. that's got to be the worst part of having tanks. when u go out of town for extended periods.

KcMopar

Superstar Fish
I like the light timers. I have used a couple different auto feeders in the past as well, I set them up a week ahead of time and dial them in to feed once a day a little lighter then I normally feed at breakfast. I also only fill the auto feeder with the amount of food it will use for the time I am gone just in case a malfunction happenes.

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
We got some timers from Lowe's on Black Friday. They're made for holiday lights. They're not expensive. We always had timers on most of the tanks, but there were a couple without them and we finally bought some timers.

Most fish are fine for a week without care, as long as all your equipment is running well. We went out of town for what was supposed to be a three-day trip. Due to emergency surgery while on vacation, we ended up spending about 10 days away from home. Everything was fine, even if the saltwater tank was about to dry up because the top-off reservoir had run dry.

It's a good idea to make no changes to anything before you go, just in case there are problems. Don't add new fish or new equipment.

exhumed07

Superstar Fish
Apr 30, 2006
Illinois
I just cleaned my filters and topped off the tanks before i left just for the reason u said. And today i trimmed all my plants. topped some and replanted to get them rooted for sale or to give away. looks odd seeing all the plants being only 6 inches tall or so instead of being at the top of the tank but think they will be better off. Alot of the lower leaves were pretty well shaded but are now totally exploded to the lights. also removed Alot of the duck weed. this was my first big trimming since i setup this tank like 3 or 4 months ago. just hoping now that i didn't go overboard on my trimming

exhumed07

Superstar Fish
Apr 30, 2006
Illinois
Well i know over trimming bushes and trees and the like can kill them. Im still pretty new to plants. but i planted all my trimmings and hope they root so i can take them in for trade or give them to a friend of mine

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
I love the lighting timers and have never had a problem with one. Autofeeders are a bit more finicky and not that worthwhile unless you're taking long vacations regularly, but I do think the fish and plants appreciate having a consistent lighting schedule. Especially if the lights are bright, they will learn the schedule and be expecting them so it won't be startling to them.

You have to figure too, plants and animals outside have periods of minimal light when it is stormy or overcast for a few days or a week, so variation and not having direct lights for a time is probably good for the occasionally. (I am assuming you have a window or something in the room, so they are not in total darkness all the time.)

exhumed07

Superstar Fish
Apr 30, 2006
Illinois
I do but i cover the window on the door to keep direct winter light out of my 55 and it keeps people from looking in when we are gone. if someone wants to break in they will. i have no illusion of that. but y tempt them by seeing what i have. so when Im gone that room is virtually pitch black