Upside down cat bullying otos?

bassbonediva

Superstar Fish
Oct 15, 2009
Northern Arizona
So, I redid the 46gal today. Stripped it down, did a 50% WC, scrubbed EVERYTHING, rearranged it, the works. The upside down cat has grown (he's not slightly bigger than the otos whereas before he was smaller!) and is more active and visible now, so yay! Here's my "problem," though...I was observing the inhabitants of the tank after pulling Victoria out with a mystery ailment and saw Alistar (the upside down cat) "attacking" one of the otos! I bought some black shale when I had my 18gal and made a cave with it and I rearrange it every time I put it back in the tank. This time I made it into one large, deeper cave (by resting the base rocks on the tank floor, not the gravel, and putting just a tiny bit of gravel into the opening) with two smaller, deep caves on either side. The effect is pretty cool. Anyway, the oto was chilling under the ledge of the left side small cave and Alistar went over and started bullying him. Alistar "nipped" him (as much as an upside down cat can nip), forcing him to flee the cave, and wouldn't leave him alone until he left the cave. The oto seemed a little miffed, but just swam over and hung on the glass, so he didn't get hurt really. Should I be concerned about this apparently-territorial behavior in Alistar...or is it normal and "no blood, no foul?"

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
no blood no foul. otos can pester eachother at times too. although youre more likely to call that pestering "playing" because youve read that otos are peaceful. Its likely territorial issues, and if you buy more upsidedown cats that dont die, your issue should be solved.