Ultra-improved easier & even cheaper DIYCO2 plans

Oct 22, 2002
Does the silicone bond fail on your co2 a lot? That's because silicone is not meant to bond plastic together - it's better suited for glass.

It's also messy, smelly and if you don't purchase 100% silicone, it usually contains arsenic as a curing agent.

Not only is it less work the way I've developed, you don't need silicone and the seal works BETTER than when you use silicone. I've converted all my aquarium-co2 rigs this way and I have had great results. The assembly is much sturdier.

If you'd care to learn how to do it cheaper, easier, with less mess and fewer curse words, feel free to click the link below.

Enjoy and let me know what you think!
-B

http://watergardens.coolnessdojo.com/diyco2.php

AndyL

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Calgary AB
Re: Ultra-improved easier & even cheaper DIYCO2 pl

2 questions...

I keep looking at the DIY CO2 systems, and I want to add one, but I already catch enough flak from the wife about the fishtank sprawl (and the constant shopping trips)

So what I'm wondering, I searched around, and all I can find people using, is 1L and 2L bottles, has anyone tried a 500ml bottle? (I can hide that from the wifes prying eyes much easier)

Second question would be, what are the downfalls to this system? CO2 will cause PH fluctuations, anything else I should be aware of?

Andy

Oct 22, 2002

Andy -

I have experimented with differnt sized bottles, and even used a 20oz bottle (mixed results) for CO2 in my 2g aquarium. It seems that a smaller volume just boils down to "doesn't last as long" ... I had to recharge my 20oz co2 machine about every 4 days.

Another option would be to make the airline really long, giving you the ability to hide the bottle somewhere. *shrug*

As far as downfalls - I haven't encountered many problems. Sure, there are potential threats, but the risk seems minimal to me. I have not experienced a pH crash yet. If you have good filtration aka water movement, this will keep the pH in check by turning some of the water over @ the surface, thus liberating co2 and raising ph?

*shrug*

I suggest giving it a shot. I was skeptical and unsure at first too.

AndyL

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Calgary AB

Yep, I've got mine built, using a 500ml bottle (easiest to hide, tucked it away behind the tank below the HOB filter) to a T "regulator" (the ones with the needle valve) splitting off to two airstones that I've tucked into the substrate to hide them somewhat.

Strangely enough I had everything kicking around the house :) I guess being a packrat payed off!  *thumbsupsmiley*

Now if the bottle of yeast would just cool off so I could hook it up and see what happens!

Andy

dattack

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002

Guys.  All you really need is a rubber stopper which cost 50 cent at your hardware store.  Drill a hole and put in a rigid tubing and you are set.

AndyL

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Calgary AB

Backdraft_Bagel:

Thanks for the kick in the butt to get me to do this... Amazing results after less than 24 hours... My new Hygro's put on over 1" of growth, The Val's put on even more, No real change on the sword (but its also on the other end of the tank from my CO2 airstone).

Amazing growth! I'm loving it! Once the tanks set up the way I want it, I might just have to remove the CO2 to keep things manageable  *thumbsupsmiley*

Andy

Oct 22, 2002

I have a 1/2 inch thick pressed styrofoam board where the tank is sitting on top of. It has a bit extra, so I have a bit of a shelf sticking behind the tank. This space have just enough space for my CO2 bottle which is kept out of sight!

I can also hide my fish foods and other supplies there as well.

Also, I have a bare metal stand, but I also used a piece of fabric which serves as curtains for a cabinet like feature beneath the tank. A really good place to put equipment there as well.

Another suggestion: to regulate the CO2 in my tank, I basically use a clothpin: Does anyone have a better DIY idea?

Oct 22, 2002

Duuuuude! No! Are you saying that you simply pinch the tube ... preventing the co2 from traveling into the airstone or whatever you have? That is sooooo bad. Your bottle's going to explode and your whole house will smell like beer.

It's happened before.
http://www.thekrib.com/Plants/CO2/yeast-disaster.html

I've recently split my page about diyco2 into two pages: simple / complex. Check this one out. At the bottom you will some some modifications. I really think it's a bad idea to simply plug the duge. Your bottle's a timebomb that way.

http://watergardens.coolnessdojo.com/diyco2a.php

Consider using a bleed valve (cost $2) or simply not stopping production at night. I never stop co2 at night. I think that whole concept is overrated.

Oct 22, 2002

I don't pinch it completely, but make sure it is sending off bubbles.

I regulate the flow to be more at daytime, and at night I make sure at least there are bubbles flowing as well, even at a slower rate.

Previously, my CO2 bottle would run out in 3-4 days: with regulated bottle it lasted so far almost 2 weeks now.

Thanks for your advise, I may look into using a t valve for an emergency blow valve. *thumbsupsmiley*

Somonas

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
O-town
www.myfishtank.net

I agree with dattack on this one -

you guys are making this a -bit- too complicated.  you don't need to use silicone at all,  you don't need to use connectors, nothing.

all you need to do is get some normal plastic airline,  take a drill bit that is about 1/8" smaller in diameter, drill a hole in your bottle cap,    cut your airline at a 45 degree angle,  pull it through the cap about 1/2" and you are in business!  the friction will hold and seal the airline in place.

advantages - no silicon, no shrinking, no mess, no extra cost of stoppers,  easy to change the tube (pull it out)

Oct 22, 2002

See, here's the part that confuses me. That's what I thought I was doing. Making it simpler. Somonas - I do it just like you explain.

In fact, wouldn't dattacks method be slightly MORE complex and expensive, since it involves locating and purchasing a rubber stopper?

The specific reason I made the page was to say how horribly easy it was and that we need not complicate things, though I did provide some options there too.

See, the whole thing can basically be summed up with two graphics I made:

edit:
i'm sorry, i don't mean to sound bitchy, i'm just cranky because somewhere along the lines i must have screwed up the message of my diy co2 page (i wanted to say: it's super simple, really cheap, here's how, let's not make a big deal of this). for starters i have split it into two pages - one with the bare bones, the other with "mods" and whatnot. I'll have to do more tweaking tho.

Oct 22, 2002

I guess for me another "complicated" issue is how to deliver the CO2 to the tank. Some people disagree using airstone, and insist using more complicated setup like a air bell or a bubble diffuser to make the bubbles tiny.

I have one of these 3" bubble wands that sits at bottom of the tank. About half of the bubbles would go into my power filter, while some of the bubble get trapped under the rootwood I have, and others simply goes straight up. So far my plants are growing very fast, so I think this works for me very well and I don't have to worry about too much CO2 for my fish.

keprydak

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
TX
www.xanga.com

I imagine that with my really soft water that a pH crash would be inevitable... which is why I'm a bit hesistant to try this. Is there a way to regulate the CO2, or at least measure so you know you're not getting over 20 ppm? The last thing I need to do is poison my $30 a piece fish!

Oct 22, 2002

Well, kep all you have to do is have some buffer - some carbonate hardness (as opposed to general hardness) - this will keep the co2 from crashing the PH. i think a KH that is equal to your GH is going to do the trick

- ps i don't do that, i just add the co2 and let the chips fall. no problems yet. i use diy co2 on a 2 gallon, 5.5 gallon, two 10's and a 55. i have used it in discus, tetra, killiifish, guppy, etc ...all kinds of inhabitants ...

once, there was a close call - the power was off for a day due to a storm and i forgot to stop the co2 dealio - my fish were gasping at the surface, but i saved them all in time.

Oct 22, 2002

There is a chart which if you know the ph and kh of your tank, you can calculate the amount of CO2.

http://www.thekrib.com/Plants/CO2/kh-ph-co2-chart.html

My ph was around 7.4 and after co2 I get around 7.0. My kh also moved from 3 to 4. At this level it is safe for my fish.

Oct 22, 2002

hehe for a while i just started using my hot glue gun to seal the tube and bottle cap.. LOL!!!

i tried ur plan backdraft... works great.. thanks  *thumbsupsmiley*