Uh-oh.. $1/gal sale!

Thyra

Superstar Fish
Jun 2, 2010
Yelm, WA
Build it yourself - I would do a structure based on that one in the center aisle of the new store you went to - just design it for one tank and you could have a shelf under it that you could fit some baskets like drawers. Take your time and think about it. I have a hexagon shaped end table from a garage sale that has worked out very well for a tank because it wasn't as high. That is strange that they charge sales tax on money they didn't take in.

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
Or keep an eye on craigslist (or even check and see if there is a local fish / reef club - lots of them post deals). It is amazing the number of 55g stands I see on craigslist, and even a 75g stand with a solid top would work well for a 55g.

On the other hand, looking for a 40B stand was a fruitless effort for months for me :(. Stupid uncommon tank size, and car that won't fit anything over an inch bigger than the tank... finally have my stand coming from amazon.

exhumed07

Superstar Fish
Apr 30, 2006
Illinois
if ure to do a planted dirt tank algae si not a big issue if u got plenty of plants that take nutrients out of the water column. take for example java moss or use some kinda floating plants.

exhumed07

Superstar Fish
Apr 30, 2006
Illinois
honestly it's the easiest way to keep plants. no ferts or anything to worry about. just an inch of organic potting soil and an inch of gravel to hold it down. plant your plants and watch them grow and soak up all the nutrients to prevent algea. if you are putting it in a window or in direct light, there will be no need for fancy lighting.

FreshyFresh

Superstar Fish
Jan 11, 2013
East Aurora, NY
exhumed, I hear you.. and I value your input on ALL this stuff, I just don't get how the water doesn't remain a cloudy mess if you've got an inch of goo under the gravel. As much as I rearrange the hard-scape and do water changes, I'd think my tanks would be a MESS with soil in them.

That's got to wreak havoc on your impellers and filtration too. Dirt is mostly ultra-fine rocks/sand (super abrasive). I also don't get how the two separate substrates will stay put.

Feb 27, 2009
I will start by saying that everyone has had different experiences,

As much as I rearrange the hard-scape and do water changes, I'd think my tanks would be a MESS with soil in them.
but in my soil-capped-with-gravel (or sand) experience, as long as you 'plant it and forget it' and don't rearrange things much, it works out fine. Water changes are no big-deal, but you can't do a normal 'gravel vacuum' like you can without soil. The mulm buildup is no big deal and helps the plants, as long as its not excessive.

That's got to wreak havoc on your impellers and filtration too. Dirt is mostly ultra-fine rocks/sand (super abrasive).
I've only used sponge filters driven by submerged powerheads in my soil-based aquariums. HOB type filters can work (just not worth the hassle of the CO2 they offgas, so I don't use them), and as long as you don't stir things up, should not be a problem for impellers. I've never had an impeller fail on one of the submerged powerheads. When I do water changes, I take them out and rinse them in the change water, using a Q-Tip to get into all the small places between the blades.

I also don't get how the two separate substrates will stay put.
As long as you don't do aggressive gravel vacuums, or have fish that dig, they stay seperated just fine.

I don't think soil is worth the hassle, personally. I've kept planted tanks for 20+ years (before that, marine tanks). I've kept 3 soil-capped-with-gravel and 1 capped with sand, from between 2 and 6 years. Sand was easier to me, between the two. But my preference, by far, is simple gravel for plants. I like to rearrange things, grow fast-growing stem plants (that I give away or trade at the LFS), etc. When you pull up a crypt that, just a few wks later, has put out 5 miles (ok, that is an exageration!) of roots in the soil, its a mess trying to pull it up to give/trade.

Last edited: