Uh-oh.. $1/gal sale!

FreshyFresh

Superstar Fish
Jan 11, 2013
East Aurora, NY
I see Petco is running the $1/gal tank sale through April 27 depending on where you live. Thing is, I don't see anything other than 10, 20 and 40gal tanks listed in the sale.

It looks like a 40 is the same footprint of a 55, just shorter?

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
The 40 would be a breeder - it is 36Lx18Wx16H. Really nice dimensions, not tall and thin and difficult to work with. There is a 40g long - that is a shorter 55g, but not one most stores carry and not considered a "standard size" for the sale.

I believe they usually do 10g, 20g L & H, 29g, and 40g Breeders. I think some stores may do 5.5g as well. I believe they usually word it "up to 50g, standard sizes" to avoid having the 55g on sale as well. Some stores also only stock (or only put out) a few of the larger sizes, so they aren't selling too many 40B tanks at $40 a pop.

FWIW, the 40B is usually at least $115 new. Even the new 20L is like $44 I believe, and a 29g is about $60 IIRC.

I'm sure they take a loss on the 40g at least, prob the 20-29g as well. Not the 10g. Most people will at least get the hood and light with it, usually also filter, heater, stand, gravel, etc.

At their last $/G sale, I got a 40B, a 20L for a sump, and a 10g QT tank. And a bag of salt, no other accessories. So I'm sure they lost a crap-ton with me. And they also helped carry it out to the car :)

Last edited:

FreshyFresh

Superstar Fish
Jan 11, 2013
East Aurora, NY
Yeah, I'll have to swing by and see what they've got on the shelves. Last time I was in there, they had some 20L, 20H, 10's and a 40B or two IIRC.

Does anyone know if they'll get you a size they don't have by raincheck for the $1/gal sale?

I'm really not in the position to setup another tank at the moment, but it's hard to pass up a $1/gal for things 20G and up, even if it sits in the basement for awhile. As much as I'd like a "big" tank, anything larger than a 40 would have to get setup in my basement anyway.

Last edited:

Thyra

Superstar Fish
Jun 2, 2010
Yelm, WA
Just make sure you want it in your basement! Unless its part of your regular living environment you won't enjoy it as much. And with a little ingenuity there is always room for one more! I used a length of that prefab countertop over two old matching desk that were very strong.
Fish 002.jpg
You can only see one of the desks on this picture. They were the kids old desks that got left behind.

FreshyFresh

Superstar Fish
Jan 11, 2013
East Aurora, NY
Great idea and an awesome looking setup Thyra. I think I'd prefer a few 20's and 10's over one big tank. You can have totally different setups, species tanks, etc. I'm not really sure! 2 tanks is the most I've ever had setup at once.

Half our basement is finished and we're down there often. Problem is, there's zero natural light on the finished side. We also keep the thermostat turned off when we're not down their in the winter, so It can dip to the mid 50's down there in the winter.

Joel

Feb 18, 2013
It's off topic a bit, however I wish there was a happy medium between lfs and chain stores. I rarely if ever buy fish from chains. If lfs could specialize in fish only, and carry fish specific supplies, chemicals, food, and knowledge, chains could carry the rest at discount. I think there would be many more better equipped hobbyists.

Thyra

Superstar Fish
Jun 2, 2010
Yelm, WA
The problem is the overhead. Many of the people who start fish stores do it because they like fish - problem is many have no business experience and don't understand the paperwork, taxes, costs etc. involved. I also want to say there can be a world of difference between one Petsmart and another. It kind of depends on their manager. I was in one in the Puyallup area recently and it was terrific and they knew their fish and plants, etc. plus they had plenty of help - I thought maybe it had just opened, but when I commented on it they said, "No" they had been open for over three years. In that same period I know of at least 3 fish only LFS that failed.

Thyra

Superstar Fish
Jun 2, 2010
Yelm, WA
Thanks Joel! It started as my office and computer desk. I simply cleaned up my operation and built a similar counter on the other side of the room using two file cabinets under it and a shorter piece of preformed counter - which was enough for a computer, scanner, printer and office accumulation.

Thyra

Superstar Fish
Jun 2, 2010
Yelm, WA
You really need to work in the business as an employee first to get some idea of what goes on and the problems to expect. There's the lease (or purchase) the tanks, plumbing, etc. insurance and you will have to hire at least one employee and when you do that you have the payroll taxes - and the fines if you are late. I was in business for myself once - no employees, but even self-employed there were sale tax reports and social security on myself. I also did book keeping for a flying club that hired myself, a mechanic and a manager and there were a lot of taxes that needed to be paid like L&I, WH, the sales tax report, etc - just bookkeeping was a full time job. So don't ever take it lightly! Lol

exhumed07

Superstar Fish
Apr 30, 2006
Illinois
My favorite lfs is a family owned and ran business. husband and wife and 2 daughters. their youngest just started this winter. finally old enough to legally work lol. but they have been in business for about 20 years now. I've kinda talked to them about making a living off the store and just general questions. they said durring the winter they live like royalty and durring the summer they barely scrape by. Phil told me if he had a choice to do it again he would go to business school first. said there was so much he did not know about business that he was overwhelmed and they almost lost the store and theer house cause there was alot of stuff he was missing. I've kicked around the idea myself but after talking to him about it i'm pretty sure that is not something i would want to do lol.

FreshyFresh

Superstar Fish
Jan 11, 2013
East Aurora, NY
I'm in deep now...

Just got home from Petco with $55 worth of fish tank. I shoulda stayed away, but couldn't resist. Petco was stocked to the hilt with tanks. At least a dozen 55's, a bunch of 20's, 29's a few 20L a TON of 10's, even a 40B. A few odd-balls too, like 38's? The 40B was a neat looking size, almost squarish looking top down into it. Cool if displayed with a 4 sides visible.

Surprisingly, my darling bride took to the hobby, prompting the purchase of the 55. She suggested getting the old kitchen table out of the laundry room, and replacing it with the 55gal.

This tank will be right up in front of a large window. Ideal for plants I assume?

Thyra

Superstar Fish
Jun 2, 2010
Yelm, WA
Ideal for algae, too! But congratulations, Joel, I knew you would eventually succumb. Keep in mind that you are going to want to be able to reach the bottom of the tank without standing on a ladder or leaning on the tank.

FreshyFresh

Superstar Fish
Jan 11, 2013
East Aurora, NY
Thanks Thyra.

The last thing I needed to do was spend another $65 (all in), but hard to resist when these tanks are normally $114.99. Darn NYS. They have to charge you 8.75% sales tax on the $114.99, then subtract the promotional amount.

I've been looking online for stands. Petco has the best prices I've seen so far. Nothing on CL at the moment. :(