Tap water

ridder

New Fish
Jan 17, 2012
I am setting up a new tank, and it is my first salt water tank. I was wondering if I was to use tap water and used the
conditioners out there if they will work, or if there is something that will help take the other stuff in tap water out along with
the conditioner.

KcMopar

Superstar Fish
I would highly, Highly, HIGHLY!!!! Recommend that you use RO/DI water. This can be had at your local pet store in most cases. The salt mix is made to make ro/di water come to perfect levels. If you start with tap water is can have high levels of stuff the salt mix adds and the buffering capability is often compromised with tap water which would make your pH level unstable and not suitable for SW use.

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
Definitely get reverse osmosis water or buy an RO setup. Tapwater generally contains a lot of minerals that could potentially cause problems for years in a saltwater tank. Phosphates are one of the main problems. If you use tapwater, your live rock can hold onto some of those minerals, giving you algae problems for years to come.

exhumed07

Superstar Fish
Apr 30, 2006
Illinois
I use straight up ground water for my fresh tanks but i even buy jugs of ro for my salt tank. u can pick up 5-10 gallon plastic colapsible jugs pretty cheap at most farm outlet stores. just take them into ur lfs and they will fill them up

Feb 27, 2009
I user AquaSafe by Tetra and it works perfectly. It removes chloramines, etc and it neutralizes heavy metals.
Have you kept a saltwater tank, Kiara1125? Please be careful when offering advice if you have not.

To the OP, I would follow the advice that the others have posted here.

Last edited: