Strange White Whispy Stringy Stuff

Kiara1125

Superstar Fish
Jan 12, 2011
Florida
Thank you so much Marcy!! (it sounds more right then nanu, soo.... yeah) Cool website that you found. I think I'm going to try it out!! How do they make you pay though??

Mar 16, 2011
The white clingy stuff is from your snails. Mine used to do it all the time. Pick up your snail and feel its bottom side (Not really) But they are very slimy. Sometimes, they leave a slime strail and even less of the time it becomes dislodged and clings to a plant or decoration but they also eat that.

Another theory is this. When i used to overfeed my fish with shrimp pellets id find slimy clumps/strings in the aquarium. SO if your overfeeding that might be it too.

Hope i helped :D
Thats not snail slime, there is WAYYY too much of it, the presence of it after a water change suggests bacterial slime, or some sort of fungus to me, honestly i don't have a real suggestion as to what it is, your guess is as good as mine, really clean water cures most things tho.

emma1981

Small Fish
Mar 20, 2011
I have that in my snailarium (snail growing tank) It is unusual to get it in a tank with fish!
Its a combination of food debris, snail poo & snail trail, low water movement, & stagnant water (although the latter in your case may not be true) It can be accompanied by white stringy worm-like thigs & little triangular cell mites (same size as daphnia but white....look a bit like a mans meat & 2 veg...sorry but thats the best discription.)
You are doing the best thing with the water changes for the stringy stuff but it clings to rocks & the bottom of the tank & only flies freely when a current occurs, (mostly water added or stirred.) It can also be attributed to too much light. Fish only need 8hrs, but i am going by coldwater set up. Hope that helped.

aakaakaak

Superstar Fish
Sep 9, 2010
Chesapeake, Virginia
Thanks emma. I haven't had any stringy stuff in the past 2-3 water changes. The snails are all a little bigger than pea size and some are the size of what you get in the store now.

COOL THING: I haven't found any of the standard "gold" mystery snails in the babies. However, I have found about 10% of the snails are gold with a blue foot. This sort of does cool things with the shell shading (blue and purple swirlies toned into the gold). Mose, however, are colored exactly like momma: blue.

emma1981

Small Fish
Mar 20, 2011
Wow you've done really well to get the black foots to breed. They must be v.happy in the lovely home you've provided. Ive been growing apple sanils for 3yrs now & the blk foots are notoriously difficult.
Watch out for over stock! I had a snail explosion 6mths ago & ended up with 600ish in 2x 110 litre tanks 1x 70 litre tank & 1x55 litre tank. It left me sweating a bit I can tell you.
Well done though. Oh & thanks for the help on the huge tank problem.

aakaakaak

Superstar Fish
Sep 9, 2010
Chesapeake, Virginia
Emma,
Maybe it helps that the boy was a goldie? That silly snail was on top of her for days on end. I currently have around 50+ snails that are quickly outgrowing the 29g tank they're in. The bigger ones should be heading off to the store within a week or three.

haricots,
I'm starting to think it's just general "gunk" in the tank that gets stirred up. With all the wooden pleco poop, and a bunch of snails, and a growing group of fish...