So a guy walks into a live fish store to buy 10 feeder shrimps...

lordroad

Large Fish
Sep 2, 2004
Shelby, NC
www.joshday.com
No kidding, C-man...

Just strolled into the back for the shrimp, immediately saw a discus tank with the best specimens I've ever seen in any lfs, and this guy stuck out from the lot. The debate whether to get him was over in about ten seconds while I watched him.

4.5 inches from mouth to tail...

No good sideshots yet, going to wait until I release him into the tank... but more pics will be coming!

fishdude07

Superstar Fish
Mar 30, 2004
Michigan
www.freewebs.com
wow that is a BEAUTIFUL discus. i think the blue snakeskin is now one of my favorite kinds of discus. ive never seen them. so now my favorites are blue snakeskins, alenquers, and the classic red turqs. VERY nice. how bout a full tank shot? man...seeing that AWESOME discus makes me wish i could get my discus tank right now...but ill have to wait til this coming summer when we move to chicago.

Last edited:

lordroad

Large Fish
Sep 2, 2004
Shelby, NC
www.joshday.com
Hehe, Lotus, that would have been a nice deal, but the store was out of ghost shrimp... though I have to admit, after seeing this discus, feeder shrimp were the last things on my mind...

It's settling in well, much better than my adult discus when I brought the adult home. Last night I saw it pecking at the gravel for food, and while it hasn't really swam around the full tank yet, it comes out and doesn't seem afraid of me or the camera. I was really concerned about the size differences between the wild and this one, but I made a judgment call on this guy, and I hope things will turn out well. Last night the adult bullied him some, no nipping but a little head butting and this strange herding type behavior I've never seen other fish do, but he didn't do any serious harm.

This morning the adult is ignoring it. As you can see in the pic below, the fish has ample leafage to hide. So far it's been shy, but the color is great, and no real fin damage to speak of, other than a little tear from stress being in the bag.

Fishdude, what are your plans for your discus tank? How big are you going? Species only? Community with cories and cardinals? Or perhaps the more controversial discus with angelfish?

As you can see, my "discus" tank is not the orthodox at all, and I really wouldn't recommend mixing the fish I have with them. My experience so far has been good, but it's been stressful, especially with the adult not eating anything to speak of for the first three weeks. If I had it to do over, I'd probably shell out the extra bucks and make it a discus tank with five discus, maybe some cardinals, and a school of cories for the bottom... though I'm not a fan of cories at all.

All of the tankmates get along great, but it's just not a natural setup for the discus... though I'm surprised people don't recommend bala sharks for discus tankmates... mine are the most peaceful fish I have and their sharkish appearance is a nice contrast to a big, flounder shaped fish.

Anyway, here's a half tank pic. The teracotta you see is a smashed strawberry or vine pot with multiple holes along its side.

Attachments

Last edited: