Sick Extremly Sick Goldfish Help Please...

Papillon

Large Fish
Jun 15, 2003
Montclair, NJ
Visit site
Poor Flopsy, he is in a serious sorry state though hanging in there.. On top of all that he now has dropsy... Mopsy thank God looks good.. I hope my tank will finish cycling then I can put him back in his home, after cleaning it a bit....

I don't know whether Flopsy will put through, though his appetite is the same, he is a real vaccum cleaner... I improvised and found an 18 gallon container which I cleaned thoroughly and put them in there with the airstone.. I have no filter to fit.. It's a rubber maid container, with no lid, so I put the oven rack on top of it to keep the cats out....

So that is the update, I continue to medicate and will do partial water changes daily..

M

Iggy

Superstar Fish
Jun 25, 2003
Leduc, AB, Canada
Visit site
Leduc is on the way into Edmonton from Calgary (in case you forgot), and my folks live in St. Albert. Never been to NJ yet, but I imagine we have a bit more space up here.

I am going to meet with a local betta breeder this Saturday to see her setup. I am hoping to breed a batch in a few months/depending on if I can get the right equipment ready in time. I want to build a modular barracks system that I can use to raise them, then consign 10-15 fish barracks to my LFS as part of the selling tool (no more cups I hope). Still designing it, but with any luck, I might be able to make the lives of a few hundred bettas a little better during the selling process.

Iggy

Superstar Fish
Jun 25, 2003
Leduc, AB, Canada
Visit site
My father & step-mother have lived there for about ten years, a little south and east of the 'downtown' mall area. I think I know the farm your talking about, I have driven past it, with all the blue barns?

Hows Flopsy holding out?

Papillon

Large Fish
Jun 15, 2003
Montclair, NJ
Visit site
No they had red barn, unless they changed the colour in the last 15 years!!!

Flopsy is still alive, I see that his dorsal fin is raised just a little, I think it means hope!!

38 gallon is still cycling, no change in amonia and nitrites so I added some more bacteria, Bio-zyme...

Mopsy is I think ready to be moved, but I can't yet..

Is it ok for me to continue to medicate the hospital tank, even though he is doing much better than Flopsy??? I don't want to put him back in the 3 gallon while Flopsy continues to recover...

Thanks for all your input, I wonder what others also think of our discussion!!??

M.

Iggy

Superstar Fish
Jun 25, 2003
Leduc, AB, Canada
Visit site
Thats a good sign from Flopsy. What type of filter do you have in the 38 gallon? The levels usually spike and hold for a few days before they drop suddenly - so give it a bit more time before you move the fish back. Again, raising the temp will help speed this up (table lamp with 60w bulb puts out a lot of heat - leave the tank lights on too)

I would say leave them together, they can keep each other company, and the bigger container is better. I would still medicate according the the bottle until Flopsy shows he is recovered.

Move Mopsy once the tank hits 0ppm for both ammonia and nitrite.

Geeze a red barn, well, there are none of those in Alberta (lol)
You never know, its a small world, somebody, someday, somewhere will read this post and say.. I know that place!

Papillon

Large Fish
Jun 15, 2003
Montclair, NJ
Visit site
I have a kick ass filter!! in the 38 gallon Emperor 400 so that is great, not worried about that... I wish the beastly thing would hurry and cycle!! I know, I know patience, patience!!!

Their names are Bocock, they do all sorts of things too for the community!

Iggy

Superstar Fish
Jun 25, 2003
Leduc, AB, Canada
Visit site
Thats a great filter. When you removed the carbon cartrige, you lost a bit of biological filtration, but the bio-wheel really does most of the work.

If you can get the temp around 80F, it does speed it up a little ;)

I have not met any Bococks from St. Albert. I know an Ernest Blowin from that area (one of my customers).

Iggy

Superstar Fish
Jun 25, 2003
Leduc, AB, Canada
Visit site
Re: SICK EXTREMELY SICK GOLDFISH HELP PLEASE.............

Originally posted by Papillon
I medicated with Maracyn II and parasite clear by fungus... I have the bio wheel in there but no filter cartridge...
*thumbsdow
Did I misunderstand, when you medicated the large tank did you not remove the carbon filters? Usually, you need to remove the bio-wheels to when medicating or it will destroy the beneficial bacteria on the wheel.

Iggy

Superstar Fish
Jun 25, 2003
Leduc, AB, Canada
Visit site
Ahhhh.. the 3gal has a bio-wheel, gotcha!

OK, the only thing else you can do is heat it up. The added bacteria in a bottle will help, but you need to get it building up on the surfaces of your filter bio-wheel.

Adding more oxygen to the tank will also help, if you have another pump and airstone handy. O2+heat+food in high quantities will encourage bacteria growth.

Guess we just need to wait for tomorrow. Are you going to get another betta for the 3gal tank?

Papillon

Large Fish
Jun 15, 2003
Montclair, NJ
Visit site
No the 3 gallon will stay empty. I have got my hands completely full playing nurse, filling up pails etc with water, doing daily water changes etc etc.... I feel like a nurse...

I stirred up the big tank today, released the live bacteria culture in the tank stopped treating with anti ich natural meds, the water is brown because of it... All I can do is wait and as soon as it's ok I will move Mopsy.... I feel so bad for Flopsy I hope he pulls through, he ate again today, tomorrow I remove 13 gallons out of the 18 and go from there... Today I changed 5 gallons and treated with meds...

Real Florence Nightingale here!!!! This morning I woke up convinced I had spent mega $$$ on this set up etc for nothing. I am getting frustrated I must say..

Oh well tomorrow is another day...

M

Iggy

Superstar Fish
Jun 25, 2003
Leduc, AB, Canada
Visit site
Hold in their Marie! You seem to have some bad luck with your fish, just like I did at the beginning (5/6 fish got sick - 1 death) Your only on your 3rd corpse right? (2 bettas/1 gold), a lot of people here have lost dozens at a time due to illness or accidents or just plain stupidity.

I guess what you need to ask yourself is, are you willing to keep fish even if they die on you, or are you going to call it quits. If you decide to stay the course, your conditions are bound to get better, and making the decision that you are going to stay at it no matter what helps you emotionally get over these rough times.

I would not move Mopsy till the readings show 0 ammonia, and no sooner. He likely suffered from ammonia poisonning so don't risk re-exposing him too soon.

Your investment has to last a few more months to pay for itself (in satisfaction) - I get a LOT of inexpensive fish tanks from owners who give up after the first deaths and sell them at 10 cents on the dollar.

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
WELL NOW I know what you were talking about Papillon!! Apparanly I totally missed THIS conversation :) I don't pay much attention to the disease forum because I really don't have much input to add other than "raise the temperature, whats wrong with your water that made them sick?" :)

You better not give up!~!

How is everyone a few days later? Finished the tank cycling yet?