Shrimp Traps

emmanuelchavez

Superstar Fish
Feb 22, 2008
Anyone have any good ideas for shrimp traps? I'm trying to move all of the cherries from the 10 into the 15, but I have almost a hundred shrimplets left in there, and I can't catch them all - especially with all the debris flying around from swishing the net around! :rolleyes:

I'm using this as a trap, but it doesn't seem to be too effective atm - my shrimp don't seem to go for the algae wafers... or better yet, does anyone know of any food the shrimp will just absolutely love and take the bait??

Maybe I'll just make several of those DIY traps and hope I can get most within the next several days.

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
Mine always liked shrimp pellets (oddly enough). When I want to catch them, I put in a piece of food, wait about 5 minutes, net some out, wait a few more minutes, net again... repeat. The tiny shrimp are pretty easy to suck up with a turkey baster.

emmanuelchavez

Superstar Fish
Feb 22, 2008
I'm guessing there's plenty of algae left that they love getting at - since a lot of them are on the back wall, where there's a ton of diatoms and some hair algae. They ignore any food I add, and my traps have only caught about 3. Maybe I'll try the Kissyboots method and get them during a w/c? :D
I'll get a turkey baster sometime later today and try that.

emmanuelchavez

Superstar Fish
Feb 22, 2008
I put some pellets in a net to let them come to me
Interesting... My shrimp completely ignore any food I drop in for them, I guess they're not a fan of the algae wafers, and there's just a ton of algae in there for 'em.

I painstakingly got 99% of them yesterday with a turkey baster over the series of a couple of hours. After a complete rescape and water change though, I still managed to find one elusive shrimplet in there, it since has gone MIA.

I am now trying to decide what to do with my 10 gallon. Maybe it'll just be my plant (needle leaf java fern and java moss) growout tank with a betta in there, or if this one LFS gets another shipment of tiger shrimp, then maybe another shrimp tank.