Should I get cherry shrimp?

ValRasbora

Superstar Fish
May 2, 2009
Atlantic Canada
I have 5 questions... about cherry shrimp

1, Are cherry shrimp good algae eaters or are they more of a bottom feeder?

2, I am soon going to set up a 20 gal, hoping to put in a male sword, a total of 6 or 7 harlequin rasboras, a total of 6 or 7 neon tetras, and maybe a platy (or 2) would any of these guys harm/eat cherry shrimp?

3, What is the normal price for cherry shrimp, and what is a good price?

4, Are they insane breeders and will soon take over an aquarium. I don't mind a few extra, I like their looks and all, but I don't want a shrimp-infested aquarium!

5, What's a good number of shrimp to have? Is 2 or 3 enough?

Finally if there's anything really bad about cherry shrimp, please tell me!!
Thanks so much everyone *laughingc !

Scooper

Medium Fish
Jul 15, 2009
They should get along, neither are aggressive. Most shrimp will eat algae but if there is other leftovers then they'll eat that first. I wouldn't call them insane breeders and if they do go crazy then you can sell them to your local aquarium group or even your LFS. They should be fine with your other fish because none are usually aggressive. for the rest, check here or here

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
1, Are cherry shrimp good algae eaters or are they more of a bottom feeder?

They're more of a bottom feeder, but they do eat a little algae.

2, I am soon going to set up a 20 gal, hoping to put in a male sword, a total of 6 or 7 harlequin rasboras, a total of 6 or 7 neon tetras, and maybe a platy (or 2) would any of these guys harm/eat cherry shrimp?

The platy will probably eat the babies, otherwise, you should be fine.

3, What is the normal price for cherry shrimp, and what is a good price?

I think they're $3 to $4 around here (each).

4, Are they insane breeders and will soon take over an aquarium. I don't mind a few extra, I like their looks and all, but I don't want a shrimp-infested aquarium!

They won't take over, but they can be quite prolific. I never consider it a problem.

5, What's a good number of shrimp to have? Is 2 or 3 enough?

Five or six would be better, but 2 or 3 would do.