She finally moulted...but... :-(

AlyKat

Large Fish
Aug 3, 2007
New York
Well, after my blue cray had been in berry so long, and it turned out it was not a fertile berry, she moulted last night. Came home from work late last night and found her old shell where she had been hiding out for so long while in berry. I thought it was a little weird though that she was kinda out in the open. She was at the back of the tank NEAR some rocks, but not hiding like she should have been.

So then I came home from work this afternoon to find her dead in the back of the tank. I'm so sad! Of all the fish I've ever kept and lost over the years, this one bothers me the most. Sigh...don't know why she died...tank is happy and healthy...only thing I can come up with is maybe the water got too warm for her? We just had a heatwave of 95-100 degrees for four days and the room is kinda warm. Tank temp today is sitting at about 80*, but before the heat broke, it was at 84*. I know they are cool water, but she'd never minded the tank kept at 78* where it usually is...guess the heat was too much for her.

:(:(:(

Big Vine

Elite Fish
Feb 7, 2006
Florida
Sorry to hear that.
It sounds like maybe she was having some other issues besides the heat. My blue alleni tanks routinely get into the low 80's with no apparent ill effects. Perhaps some of this contributed to the complications she had during the moult, but I doubt it---I'd chalk it up to a bad moult (even despite the fact that she appears to have shed her old shell okay). Happens sometimes. :eek:

BV

AlyKat

Large Fish
Aug 3, 2007
New York
Yeah, but I'm sad...so are the kids. We had a "proper burial" in the yard...lol...then when we were done my 9 year old asks, "Can we get another one?" LOL...I guess they aren't all that broken up about it, huh? ;-)

Big Vine

Elite Fish
Feb 7, 2006
Florida
Hehe, yeah, it can be tough...
Nice to hear the kids don't seem to broken up about it though, lol.

I've got a batch of blues a brewin'---some of em' are close to the half-inch mark, so they oughta be ready for shipping anytime in the next couple weeks. Feel free to let me know if you want any...I'd be glad to help. ;)

BV

Big Vine

Elite Fish
Feb 7, 2006
Florida
Yup, them's the ones!
I wasn't going to be putting up an ad for them in the buy/sell/trade section for another week or two, but I just figured I'd offer since you lost yours, and mine are getting close to shippable size.

Just send a PM if you're interested, and we can work out the details.
And again, they'll need another couple weeks before they'll be of shippable size. ;)
BV

AlyKat

Large Fish
Aug 3, 2007
New York
Honestly, I can't seem to figure out how to PM someone...I read how to, but can't figure it out...if you could PM me, and I'll return your message...thanks! :)