Setting up a tank with plants

RyanML

Small Fish
Aug 18, 2010
hey all,

ive recently acquired a 5.5gal tank, and id like to have some plants in there, in the past ive never done well with plants they all seem to go brown and die after about 3 months, my ideal goal with this tank is to have a green bright tank dont want it too heavily planted but id like the plants to be healthy and it seems theres more to it than putting some plants in the tank and leaving them grow, the only fish that will be in the tank will be 3 or 4 guppies, so ill have a heater in there also.

the tank is currently empty, so i can start totally fresh. can someone help me as i have no idea where to start.

thanks.

lauraf

Superstar Fish
Jan 1, 2010
Vancouver, British Columbia
With a small tank like that, I'd pick some hardy plants, and dose sparingly with ferts and maybe Excel (a carbon source). You can get special substrate, like Eco-Complete, but in my 5g, I just used regular gravel and put in some anubias and java fern.

Fuzz16

Superstar Fish
Oct 20, 2006
Wellsville, KS
Anubias and anacharis are good in small tanks, real water Wisteria/sprite. Java moss is a good option, or other mosses. Id do normal gravel/ sand then do a plant tab. One would do fine for such a small tank. Could try backpackers, its got a good green pop, and telanthe or ludweigia for red color. You will have to dose with flourish for plants that use nutrients through leaves. Java fern will need to be attached to wood or stone. They don't do well buried