same color swords

no.1chuy

Large Fish
May 22, 2009
Las Vegas
ok we're talking bout male fish here so i have two pineapple and one red albino sword in my tank and the two pineapple sword constanly flare and show off to eachother but totaly ignore the red and he ignores them i also have one black mollie and one creamsicle and they just ignore each other so my question is do same color fish stick together and ignore other color fish of the same species? just a quick note my black molly ignores the male but not the females and ive noticed this more with the swordtails not the mollys i have a white molly that would flare and chase a black molly all the time

sheamurai

Small Fish
Jul 1, 2009
I'm no expert on this, but when I asked the same question in relation to cichlids, this is what I was told:
Fish will crossbreed with other varieties, but generally, they will gravitate to their own types if they are available. So, if you had nothing in your tank but a pineapple male sword, and a female platy or albino female sword, they would likely breed. But if there was a female pineapple sword around, the male likely wouldn't bother with the platy or albino.
Thats my understanding, we'll see if anyone else here has something better to offer you...

beckyd

Large Fish
Mar 16, 2009
Hey Chuy. Interesting behavior. Since my swords are all red, I have no idea about them, but my mollies definitely are color blind. When I had both balloon belly and bigger lyretail males, the bigger ones always bullied the little guys.

So far what sheamurai says is holding true for my sword as far as breeding goes. He has shown no interest that I have seen in that blue platy female. I'm thinking they need their own love shack. She looks pregnant now though, so hopefully I'm wrong. It'll be interesting to see what her babies look like.

beckyd

Large Fish
Mar 16, 2009
Chuy, guess what? My creamsicle mollies are starting to mate. They are old enough now. Remeber, I finally got my lyretail balloon babies that I have been trying for from a female lyretail and a male balloon, both creamsicle in color. And now that I only have two colors of mollies, they are indeed showing preference for their own color! I have never had them do this before. My tank has always had lots of molly colors in the past. I have weened them all out to work on my lyretail balloon belly project. So, now all the mollies are yellow or black, no dalmations or whites, or chocolates, like before. And they seem to have segregated themselves! Its like going back to the 60s in my tank. Well, much as I prefer a melting pot to live in, this works out well for my fish tank. Black and yellow make boring pond fish as often as they make cute gold dalmations, and I have enough to work on with this breeding program.