Red Velvet Swordtail

cassaroo

Small Fish
Dec 1, 2009
that would be great ^_^
i acyually have 3 red velvet females and 1 lyretail high fin male......
well 2 of the females died apparently after having their fry.
i didnt even know they were pregnant

beckyd

Large Fish
Mar 16, 2009
Cassaroo, Are you aware that your hifin lyre male cannot breed? That's good if you don't have space for fry, but bad if you do. Also, your fry will be about a 50/50mix of lyres and normal finned. If you prefer the fancy fins, give away the regular finned ones before they reach maturity. If you want a breedable male, get a nice sailfin, preferably red. Here is a pic of my pair, and some of their fancy finned youngsters. Oh, I need some updated pics of the young ones. They're bigger now.

Attachments

ValRasbora

Superstar Fish
May 2, 2009
Atlantic Canada
becky, those pictures are awesome. How do you always get such awesome pictures?!

I have a few swordies. Great fish, I can't say much about breeding tho, because I can't even get my platies to breed. They have a planted aquarium, good filtering, good lighting, they are fed enough so they aren't starving... I have no idea why they won't breed, I have 1m 3f and they're all healthy. Often I think they're pregnant, then after a few weeks they'll "thin out" and not be fat anymore... *sigh* it's so annoying because they breed too much for everyone else, and not enough (or any) for me!

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
live foods usually get livebearers breeding LOL

from your account, Val it is entirely possible that your community fish including the platies are eating all the fry.

bassbonediva

Superstar Fish
Oct 15, 2009
Northern Arizona
I agree with Newman, Val. I have only seen a dozen or so fry from my platies and I have four females and a male. But, I know that my female bettas, the platies, the guppies, and I'm pretty sure my upside down catfish make quick meals of any fry who don't manage to hide. Almsot every time one of my females drops a batch of fry, I end up with very gravid female bettas. :p

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
aside from hiding spots being the main issue fry need to be fed multiple times per day in order to have a goo survival rate. in an unfed community tank many grow weak fast and are caught by adult fish. in a community tank it is also impractical to pollute your water with tiny particled food several times daily because the adult fish cannot eat that food and most goes to waste if the fry do not find it. therefore it is best to separate your fry.

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
always put a pre-filter made of filter foam or sponge on your filter intake when you expect babies. before I thought of doing that I was finding baby livebearers and cherry shrimp inside my canister filter....