Rate my crowded tank!

prsturm

Large Fish
Aug 13, 2010
Here's my first-ever aquarium attempt. Sadly, my tank is in mourning, as one of my ADFs got trapped behind the bubble rack and drowned over-night. The two remaining frogs have become skittish, and the smell of death has cast a pall.

12x12x24 15 gallon
Four Java Ferns.
Three Sword plants.
1/2 pound chunk of Malaysian driftwood.
2 African Dwarf Frogs.
20 lbs. Top Fin black and neon gravel substrate.
Top Fin 20 HOB filter
Top Fin 50 watt heater.
Stock flourescent strip (15 watt)
Nutra-Fin CO2 reactor

Still deciding on what fish I want to get. Suggestions welcome. I plan on understocking, and am not looking for big schools.

Doratus

Small Fish
Sep 10, 2010
Nice lookin tank! I wouldn't have gone with the neon myself, but hey it's not my tank!

I'm curious, how fast do your plants grow? How long have you had them in there?

aakaakaak

Superstar Fish
Sep 9, 2010
Chesapeake, Virginia
I love the color the random neon rocks give off. It breaks the with the standard look and feel of standard tanks just enough to make it stand out. This is one of my favorite tanks.

Are the little log buildings pre-made plastic, or did you construct them yourself somehow? They look neat either way.

prsturm

Large Fish
Aug 13, 2010
Oops sorry about the non-replies. I didn't check this thread. The Japanese log things are just decorations bought from the store. I like them a lot, because the frogs park out on the "porch" and tell everyone to get off their lawn! They stick their heads out, or stand on the stairs and lean against the doorway, doing their frog-zen thing. They just hangin' out on their porches.

I'm curious, how fast do your plants grow? How long have you had them in there?
Well, my plants were actually growing like crazy, but you couldn't see it, because the established leafs weren't growing, but the crowns and rhizomes were sprouting like crazy. I had six new sword leafs coming out of the gravel on one plant, for instance. They devote their energy to new growth it seems. The Ferns devoted their energy to new buds. I've taken out the CO2 reactor for now, to see how they maintain themselves.