Raising Snails

Lakea

Large Fish
Oct 14, 2006
Texas
I plan to get a dwarf puffer for my 6.6g aquarium, so I thought I would start raising snails for feeders. I set up a little two gallon with some pests snails I collected from Petco. I had a sponge filter for the snails, but I was having some circulation issue with my 6.6g so I moved the filter into there.

My question is do snails really need a filter? Or any water movement at all?

Also, I am not quite sure what to feed them. I gave them some lettuce, but I don't think they touched it, so I am trying an algae wafer. Right now they are munching on some old microsword but I don't plan on giving them any other plants. I know they eat algae, but I don't really have any algae.

I have never raised snails before, I usually do everything I can to get rid of them, so I don't have any experience with this. Thanks!

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
Snails don't really need water movement, but you will need to do a good water change every week, and make sure to clean up the poop/leftover food. It's usually better to go barebottom (no substrate) in a snail tank, so you can clean it well.

You can feed them pretty much anything. I often used food that other fish didn't like. Algae wafers are fine. Some veggies now and then are fine, but you might want to blanch them first (put in the microwave for 30 seconds, then allow to cool). Make sure you remove any uneaten vegetables after a day or so. Carrots, zucchini, lettuce or cucumber work well.

TabMorte

Superstar Fish
Jan 17, 2008
I've been breeding snails in an old mayo jar for my loaches and they're working just fine to be honest. Water change once a week, a bit of cucumber or some algae wafer once a day.

Just keep it some where warm. (they don't seem to breed when they're cold)

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
I've always kept mine without a heater, although that will vary on where you live and what the room temperature is. They will reproduce faster in the high 70s to low 80s. On top of the tank (where the lights are) might be good, but check that it's not getting too hot (more than mid-80s F).

Lakea

Large Fish
Oct 14, 2006
Texas
I read somewhere that you need to provide calcium for snails in the form of cuttle bone or plaster of paris. Is this necessary? Not many websites mention it.

Lakea

Large Fish
Oct 14, 2006
Texas
ok then, I guess if I was keeping them long term as pets it would be necessary, but since they will be food it probably doesn't matter. Thanks.