R.B.P. suprise spawning

scubadude

Large Fish
Aug 20, 2005
carthage,MO.
I'm going to try water changeing every week and see what happens. If i don't get anything in 3 weeks I'm turning the temp back down because the female is getting beat up kinda bad right now.

Oh by the way brit, how long have your fish been tankmates?

scubadude

Large Fish
Aug 20, 2005
carthage,MO.
Ahhh.....I would say that you might as well wait untill next year before you try to spawn. It took 1&1/2 yrs before my fish were comfortable enough to eat in front of me, and i bought them when they were the size of quarters. I read that they need a long time to establish dominance and reach a stable state of hirachy. (think i mispelled that) Eventually the most dominant male and female will pair up and run all other fish off secluding themselves for the spawning. I was lucky that i have only 2 fish and they are opposite sex, even more lucky that they spawned. Still have no luck in getting more eggs.

brit_s86

Large Fish
Mar 28, 2005
so,when you get babies,for my advice,i would like 10 babies:)Mine still are not doing anything,although soetimes they do get darker,but nothin happens

scubadude

Large Fish
Aug 20, 2005
carthage,MO.
If they do spawn again my biggest concern is going to be feeding them properly. I understand that you feed freshly hached brine shrimp. That could be like a whole another hobbie. I don't know how I'm going to feed them 3 times a day! If i do manage to get a bunch to survive to quarter size i will be looking for good homes for them. I'm going to post at the breeding forum and see if anyone knows about alternate foods for RBP fry.