R.B.P. suprise spawning

scubadude

Large Fish
Aug 20, 2005
carthage,MO.
Hello all, I need advise. I have 2 red bellies in a 55 that have spawned twice in the past 2 weeks. I still can't believe it. I was totally unprepared and lost all the fry from both batches. I had gravel in the fry tank and they all wiggled to the bottom of the tank and died. I took the gravel out for the 2nd batch but I was having problems with the water vis. Would have done more water changes but I'm afraid to use water from the 55 because I was treating for hookworms #*&*!! The last of the 2nd batch died 3 days after hatching.
If anyone has any tips on keeping the fry comfortable(PH, temp, ect.) I will be very thankfull.
current fry tank conditions- PH 7.0-temp 80-82 -100% water change since last batch died. I'm useing a couple of cheap-o walmart air driven filters which I believe are not quite doing the job. Thinking about making my own sponge filter to help them out.
I've had the RBP's for about 4yrs. I started out with 3 fish but lost 1 to internal parasites. I was worried about the 2 fighting in the abcence of their tankmate, but both fish seem to be doing better than before. They spawned at a water temp of 78. After the first batch I turned the temp up to 82 and they spawned again 2weeks later. I have the temp at 76 now in hopes that they will calm down and give the female a chance to reload.(only got 1/2 to 1/3 the eggs from the second batch) I want to be better prepared for the next batch.
I can also use any info on hatching/raising brine shrimp just in case I actually get some fry to survive I will need to feed them.

scubadude

Large Fish
Aug 20, 2005
carthage,MO.
Is tiger9 or piranaman out there? I would like to chat with any of the pirana freaks out there. I have turned the temp down on the 55 for a week now, but I'm starting to get really anxious. I want to turn the temp back up to 82 and see if they will get it on again. They have been aggressive towards each other in spite of the low temp(75-76) and they have twirling around each other every now and then, much like their "mating dance" but only briefly. I know it's pretty much unheard of pirana spawning in a 55, but I think they are going to go at it again.

Last edited:

scubadude

Large Fish
Aug 20, 2005
carthage,MO.
Well brit, you can crank up your temp up to 82 and see what happens, but watch them very closely! the males will become extreemly agressive. With that many fish it would be wise to set up a "hospital" tank for the fish that get badly injured. If they do spawn the eggs will hatch in 2-3 days. I recomend removing the eggs via siphon/gravel vacume before they hatch.(they tend to wiggle to the bottom of the gravel and die or get sucked into the filter) Fill your fry tank with water from your main tank and keep it bare to ease in the removal of the dead eggs/fry. These are things i have learned from my mistakes, but i have not yet been successful, so good luck to you. Also be very careful in removing the eggs as the male will gaurd the nest AT ALL COSTS! Accidents are common.

My fish seem to have calmed down again......femal is in good shape despite all the abuse....temp is stable at 80...I'm going to turn the temp up just a little bit more....still crossing my fingers!

brit_s86

Large Fish
Mar 28, 2005
ok,so this probably sounds bad,but we live in a very warm apartment,and my tank is a little ways from the window,maybe 8 feet.I dont have a heater in the tank.I have never had one,but being that are windows are huge,I will need a heater for the cold winte.rBut I do have to say my temperature is always around a constant 78 degrees..Is there anything else I coudl do?Someone said do lots of water changes,and they think it is like the rainy season,or breeding time...?If im right...I need more help for makin babies

scubadude

Large Fish
Aug 20, 2005
carthage,MO.
When my fish first spawned i was doing water changes about every 2 weeks. It was pretty hot then, i had their heater on 78, thing is i was turning off the AC in the daytime to save energy, and the temp in the house could get up to 84 - 87. It was during this time that they spawned. Get a good heater crank it up to 82, but do it on a weekend when you can wach them more closely. That many red's at breeding temp could be pretty crazy.

scubadude

Large Fish
Aug 20, 2005
carthage,MO.
I read it some where but I can't rember exactly how old they have to be to be sexually mature, but I think if you have had them for 1 & 1/2 yrs. they should be ready. I'm pretty sure it said that the adult color change is an indicator of sexual maturity. The risky part for you is that you have 9 RBP's in 1 tank. (Is that right?) And it is impossible to determine their sex from appearance. If you have an abundance of males things could get really rough in there at spawning temp.

Found it! 18-24 months to reach sexual maturity.

Do a search on (pirana spawn) and look for a title (pirana general information). There is a lot of other unrelated junk there but you should be able to find it.

Last edited:

brit_s86

Large Fish
Mar 28, 2005
we have 4 smaller ones(size of a twoonie)at least.and 5 in a bigger tank.two are larger than my hand,and than they decrease in size.I dont know how old they are.I bought them fairly large already

scubadude

Large Fish
Aug 20, 2005
carthage,MO.
Last night they were jet black and dancing again! I thought for sure i would find eggs this morning, but nothing. They had calmed down and gone back to regular color. Stubborn fish! At first it was all i could do to stop them from breeding, and now that I'm trying to get them to spawn they are teasing me.

So brit,....Are you gonna give it a try? It is exciting! But like i said before, they are likely to beat each other up........

scubadude

Large Fish
Aug 20, 2005
carthage,MO.
Notice any increase in aggression? You may have to keep it at 82 for awhile before they are ready. I was changing water about every 2 weeks when they spawned. You may try changing water every week to simulate the rainy season. I wouldn't raise the temp over 82 as all info i have found about their spawning temp were alike. I have also read that it takes perfect conditions and a lot of luck, also all the fish in the tank need to be used to each other so the hiarchy is well established. As for mine they are showing spawning behavior now and then but no eggs yet. Watch for aggressive behavior,color change, building nest, or "dancing". It will also help if you keep the area surrounding the tank relativly quiet and non threatening. Fertilized eggs will be a translucent bronze color and about half the diameter of a pencile lead.

Good luck brit! Post if something happens, and watch your fingers.... Heh..Heh.. Just kidding, if you tried to grab one it would probably shoot out the tank and across the room.

brit_s86

Large Fish
Mar 28, 2005
I did notice they seem more aggressive towards food,and they keep banging into the sides of the tank.i have had at at 80-82 for about a week so far,and i have done one large water change

scubadude

Large Fish
Aug 20, 2005
carthage,MO.
Well brit, I have been trying to get them to "do it" again for almost 2 months now....I'm thinking about turning the temp down and waiting untill next summer. I'm not sure how fast the females egg reloading time is, but nothing is happening. Hopefully if i can simulate the transition of the season, it might trick them into spawning again. From what i read about the likelyhood of them spawning, I'm afraid they may never do it again. What do you think? Have your fish hurt each other any? Look for damage just behind the gills to halfway down the fish. Fish with this type of damage are most likely female.

brit_s86

Large Fish
Mar 28, 2005
I notice they are a bit more aggressive,but no marks on any of them.I hink as long as you stimulate the amazon,you should be able to get more eggs from the female.maybe more water changes?