Question: How do fish kill each other?

f8fan

MFT Staff
Nov 19, 2004
Bangor, Maine
My krib pair had babies about a week ago, and suddenly tonight, dad krib was dead. :( How is it that fish kill each other? I'm assuming here that momma krib was the culprit....

He looked fine, no evident wounds, he was just "dead". How is it that fish kill each other - how do they do it? I can't see any injuries, he's just dead.:confused:

Big Vine

Elite Fish
Feb 7, 2006
Florida
Sorry to hear about papa krib. :(

Whenever I've seen cichlids pick on one another, there has been some sort of apparent damage---missing/damaged scales, scrapes, tattered fins, etc. Is it possible that a krib could die from being chased, yet somehow not get damaged? Not very likely.

And IF that unlikely scenario happened---say he hit his head while jumping to avoid an attack and it ended up killing him---what are the odds that the other fish would leave his body alone and not attempt to feed on it at all? I'd say those odds are fairly slim.

You sure all the parameters are in check?
I suspect that something else is at play here, but I suppose anything's possible. How long have you had this fish? I would think that old-age really wouldn't play a factor here unless you saw signs of organ failure (i.e. bloating)...although I guess he could have just up and kicked the bucket. :confused:

BV

f8fan

MFT Staff
Nov 19, 2004
Bangor, Maine
Hmmmm, Yah, all parameters are in check....within normal limits. And just last night, Dad Krib was ok and wandering around the tank with his babies. And tonight - he was dead. :/. He is the brother of the mother.....errrr, that is, the other parent (the mom krib) is the sister of him. He and his sister had babies! :eek:

It's just so bizarre that he would end up dead and his remains look so...."normal"...?

Im sorry to hear that :(

This happend with me. My albino krib pair(rip :( ) had fry without me knowing when they were in the 55G with an angel pair, keyhole pair, and corys. One night when i got home from soccer, i went to check on them and they looked fine. I got in and out of the shower in 15mins. When i looked at the tank again i saw that the fry were gone and my male was dead. I found out that the culprit was my male keyhole cichlid who killed the krib after he invaded his terretory with the female guarding eggs. Just goes to show that even one of the nicest fish can be murderers.

Avalon

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Ft. Worth, TX
www.davidressel.com
He is the brother of the mother.....errrr, that is, the other parent (the mom krib) is the sister of him. He and his sister had babies! :eek:
This is God's punishment for incest. He sent a tiny electrical current into your aquarium and *ZAP*, His judgement was rendered. :D

You know I'm kidding! I'm thinking it could be stress. I know I've witness my Kribs fight like crazy after the fry become free swimming. They don't seem to do any damage, but they're pretty stressed out until everything's back to normal. It's a miracle they get back together again. It's the female's fault. ;)

IDunnoWhy

Superstar Fish
Nov 16, 2006
Deerfield, WI
This is God's punishment for incest. He sent a tiny electrical current into your aquarium and *ZAP*, His judgement was rendered. :D
LMAO *laughingc

It's the female's fault. ;)
Couldn't be more true :rolleyes:

Actually once upon a time I tried breeding kribs, and my female ended up killing the male also, he didn't appear damaged in any way either, I suspect after the constant chasing he couldn't take the stress and died. I'm guessing you've encountered something similar.