Puffers!

Big Vine

Elite Fish
Feb 7, 2006
Florida
You're welcome.

mandercrazy said:
i have previously had problems with fish living for more than a week.
Hmm, that's odd. I tend to enjoy it when my fish live for more than a week. ;) But seriously...Is the 10 gal. tank you're referring to now a new setup? Has the cycling process taken place?

If you still need help with any of that, you've come to the right place. Feel free to ask away. :)

Big Vine

Seiryoku

Large Fish
Apr 5, 2006
Woodland, CA
I had a few questions about DP's that I haven't been able to find answers on yet. Figured it would be best to ask in this thread instead of making a new one. I'm planning a DP tank (currently cycling an eclipse 12 for them) and want to know everything there is to know about them ^^)b

1) Internal parasites seem to be common with DP's, what is the best medicine to treat them with?

2) The majority of DP tanks I'v read about have Otto's as tankmates, but how would a pair of Panda Cory's do with 3 DP in a 12g tank?

3) I think its bog or drift wood that lowers the acididy of a tank (maybe is the hardness, I always forget). Is that ok for a DP tank? I still need to pick up a test kit, so I don't know anything about my water yet.

I think there was another question, but I forgot what it was. Maybe I'll remember in the morning when I'm more awake ^^

Thanks for any help!

Limi310

Superstar Fish
Nov 30, 2005
Charlotte, NC
Hi Seiryoku, Welcome to MFT :)
I'll try and answer some of your questions.
1) Usually you have to get a liquid medicine that you can soak food in (frozen bloodworms). DP's are picky eaters and won't usually eat any anti-parasite type foods. I didn't have a problem with internal parasites when I got mine, luckily, but I guess it's pretty common.
2) Not too sure about cory's, would probably depend alot on your puffers personalities.
3) Driftwood can lower the Ph of water (which would increase acidity). I think you would probably be ok with a piece or 2. In most cases it isn't going to drastically change your water. I have 2 pieces of driftwood in my dwarf tank.

www.dwarfpuffers.com is a great resource for dwarf puffer info.

Good Luck!

Seiryoku

Large Fish
Apr 5, 2006
Woodland, CA
Hi Limi310, thanks for the info ^^ (I've though of more questions lol)

I've never had to deal with internal parasites in any fish, is there a good medicine that covers the most common types?

I went down to my LFS (they have been in business here for 20+ years and only handle fish, not your typical box petstore) and talked to the owner about the water where I live. I don't have a test kit yet to verify what he told me, or to see if it is just different in my area. He said the PH is ~8 and on the hard side. I know DP's like a PH of at least 7, but I can't find anything on their preference of other water parameters.

I asked him about possible tank mates and he said the same as you, it will vary from puffer to puffer. But when I mentioned Otto's he was surprised, I guess Otto's are towards the top of the list of "Hard Fish To Keep" or something (I've never had any, just some cories).

I'm full of questions :p

Limi310

Superstar Fish
Nov 30, 2005
Charlotte, NC
Hmmm...as far as a brand name of medicine, not too sure. Do a search on this forum and something should come up - I know that particular question was addressed not too long ago in one of Big Vine's threads. Don't use any medicine that is copper based - bad for puffers.

Otto's may be considered hard to keep because their main diet is brown algea. If you introduce them to a new tank without algea, they may starve to death. They generally won't eat algea pellets or anything like that. Sometime I put a cucumber in the tank for mine and there are nibbles missing in the morning. Although I am not sure if it is them eating it or the ghost shrimp.

I believe a Ph of 7 - 8 is fine for DP's with about medium hardness. They can tolerate a wide range of parameters. Just make sure you slowly acclimate them if your LFS water is different then yours.

Remember they appreciate a heavily planted tank with lots of places to explore.
Hope that helps :D