pregnant mollies

claire

New Fish
Jun 10, 2003
devon
Visit site
HI,
I hope someone can help me. I am new to keeping fish but i think i have two pregnant mollies. Their bellies are massive. How long do they stay pregnant for and how long does it take for them to give birth. Mine seem to have big for ages now it must be at least 7 weeks!!

The 2 males always seeem to pester the females byu chashing them up and down the tank. I am worried this is stressing the femles out and that may be why they are not givin birth. I have a well planted tank and there are plenty of hiding places available for them.

Please someone help me
love claire

Luca

Large Fish
Jun 9, 2003
Middle Earth (New Zealand)
Visit site
Yo,
if you have a small spare tank you can always put the females in there with heaps of java moss, otherwise you can buy a v-trap breeder which allows the mollies to drop their babies and stops other fish from eating the fry, there should be one at your Local Fish Shop (LFS)

welcome to the forum by the way,
Luca.

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
I think the males pestering the females is pretty normal :) They'll drop when they're ready. If you HAVE another tank setup that just happens to be empty you might try putting some dense vegetation at the bottom of it (i.e. java moss) and putting the females in there...otherwise I agree with luca, a breeders trap...although sometimes that will stress the female out too and its just best to leave them alone until you actually see them start giving birth, or just KNOW they're going to drop soon.

Its been almost a week since you posted that and they still haven't dropped?? wow...they must be huge.

Luca

Large Fish
Jun 9, 2003
Middle Earth (New Zealand)
Visit site
Yeah it tis true that a v-trap tends to stress the females out, wish they'd make them a bit bigger/more humane.
Guppies do the best because they are smaller on average than mollies or platies. Place some floating plants at the top and/or some java moss in with the female and underneath, this will make her feel more at ease as well as feel better about dropping her babies into some nice vegetation that they can hide in :)

Have they burst yet?
Luca.

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
boxy body that looks like it will explode...also you can usually guess the exact day once you have a specific female give birth a few times. they keep the rythm pretty constant.

Dec 17, 2011
I also need help!! I have a red molly with black color on its fins and tail. It's belly is huge (well, i not sure wut would ur definition of hug would be but, anyways) It's been like that for 2-3 months and it still hasnt had fries so i'm starting to think its not pregnant...I'm new with this and i never had fish pregnant before so i really need your help. The molly belly was small when i bought her. the water is just right, so is the temp and everything else. but the male is chasing her and sometimes doesn't share the food, so i feel really bad for the female molly. PLEASE HELP ME! (srry for the long entry i was jus very worried about my fishes ) :)