plants, plastic vs. live

dvo112

Small Fish
Oct 22, 2002
what are some of your guys' opinions on plastic or live plants? which do you prefer?

kitten

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
I can't stand the look of fake plants, my fish don't like them either. When i started out with gold fish i had silk plants, they're the only fish that i would use fake ones with. :)

scrimman

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
www.caprok.net
I just switched from plastic to real about 4 months ago, and I tell 'ya, real is the way to go.  Yes, you never have to prune or feed your plastic plants, but you can really tell the difference (and the fish can REALLY tell).  They move differently, thier colors are more vibrant (even when you're trying your level best to kill them)  :-[ and the fish, well, the fish go NUTS.

scrimman

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
www.caprok.net
A sentence in english, take 2  ::)

Naw, I'm talking about the learning curve on my plants. I've got 2 Java Ferns in my tank.  Each came from a different LFS, and the newest one is obviously not enjoying it's new home. :'( It was was used to direct sunlight. It's struggling. It also could NOT be a Java Fern, but down here there aren't enough living examples that I could look at to know for sure.
I also got a "fountain plant" a while back, before I knew better.  I discovered, thanks to thekrib.com, that it wasn't a true aquatic plant and was going to die in my aquarium. It was kinda like watching the move "Titanic" at that point; I already knew what the ending was going to be like.

Actually, I've discovered that my mortality on my fish has dropped to zip.  I think I'm blaming the net and the plants for this.
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

kitten

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
silk plants are more realistic looking..they have more detail...

the fish are definatly a lot happier with the real thing!!!

dvo112

Small Fish
Oct 22, 2002
[glow=color,strength,width][/glow][shadow=color,direction,width][/shadow] how can silk plants look more realistic? are you saying they look more realistic than real plants or fake plants?

scrimman

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
www.caprok.net
Hey Bettaman
<scrimman captures idea bug>
Why not do both?  
<moves twords Bettamans left ear>
Get yourself 1 or 2 live plants and mix 'em in with the silk/plastic.  Get something that grows relatively slow and doesn't require much for light so you won't have to upgrade your lighting.
<Slowly inserts bug into ear>
Java Fern, Java Moss, and most Crypts fit that bill.
Just an idea......
<and hopes that he wasn't being too obscure>

scrimman

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
www.caprok.net
I resemble that remark!>:(

Actually, we prefer to be known as odd, not freaky.

Seriously
Sounds like a plan.  You won't be sorry!  I just wish I kept the 2 plants you're talking about; I'd set you up.

Matt Nace

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Pennsylvania
Only problem with silk plants is that they tend to get stringy after a while, at least mine did.  I took all my tall plastics out and subbed them with anacharis. It grows like a weed, well it is called a weed in Florida.
Java moss is easy to grow. I left a little in my 10 and it is growing in there now.
Java fern is easy to grow in lower light levels.

Honestly, I was growing Amazon swords(thinner leaf version) in my 55 gallon with only 70 watts of light. Its roots started adsorbing all the dirt around it. I added a home depot dual strip light to bring the watts to 120. Now it is growing quite nice. The amazons I give a root tab with iron, the others in that tank I give a jobe stick monthly.

I also give a little fert once a week to this tank. The tank looks awesome. It is no way near as planted as my 30 however. I dont even vaccuum anymore cause, well there is no dirt in there. I started with 3 amazons they had shoots and now I have 9 amazons in there. The fish supple the co2 in this tank.

So it is quite easy to grow real plants. Just have to prune them and stuff so they look fresh.

Just thought this would interest you.
After selling a 60x24x24 tank I put the bogwood into the shed for storage, a little over two and a half years later I used it in another tank, not only did it still stain the water, as if from nowhere Java moss began to grow from the cracks, it is now eight months on and the moss is everywhere. 8)