Planted Hex5 Betta Tank

Dose this seem like a good betta habitat?

• Wowza! If I was a betta, I'd LOVE to live there!

Votes: 3 75.0%
  • Pretty darned cool, if you ask me!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Not too bad.

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • Eh, okay.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

bassbonediva

Superstar Fish
Oct 15, 2009
Northern Arizona
So, I had my Marineland Hex5 tank set up for my male crowntail betta, Al. It had a large plastic Amazon sword and a set of Grecian columns with Fiji gravel from Petco as the substrate (it's kinda blue-green). Al passed away yesterday morning, so I thought I'd redo the Hex5 since it looked like crap and put Emmett, my little male feathertail betta in it.

I decided to go completely planted this time. I put in a 15W CFL bulb that has 6500K. I used cabomba caroliniana, asian ambulia, anacharis, Argentine sword, hygo. corymbosa stricta, dwarf sag, and anubias nana (I think it's nana...got it at Petco and it was only marked "Anubias"). The substrate is mostly sand with a layer of Fiji gravel on the top of half of it. There are river rocks and the Grecian columns from before. I also have a piece of DW soaking that will hopefully be used.

So, what do you think? (Sorry about the quality of the pics...I had to use my cell phone...I'll try to get my dad's camera tomorrow and take some more pics)

Emmett exploring his new home:

"Wow, Ma! Look at all the space for meeeeeeee!!"

Daytime shots before I added the anacharis, ambulia and anubias...oh, and Emmett :p . I also moved that piece of hygro in the very front to a different spot and replaced it with the dwarf sag.
FTS:

Left side FTS:

Right side FTS:

Last edited:

bassbonediva

Superstar Fish
Oct 15, 2009
Northern Arizona
Ha! He's already trying to eat/attack the MTS that are in there to tidy-up the sand! When I tossed them in there, he went straight up and flared at them, then came and flared at me with this look like "WTF, Mom?! This was supposed to be MY tank! Who are these losers?!"

bassbonediva

Superstar Fish
Oct 15, 2009
Northern Arizona
Yeah, it's a 5gal (Marineland Hex5).

Thanks, chuy! I LOVE live plants now. I don't have any fake plants in any of my tanks (except for my new 10gal temporary betta sorority which is going to have a few fake plants temporarily until I get the live plants another forum member is sending me). :D