Pirahna?

Jul 16, 2003
WI
Visit site
Originally posted by Grosse Gurke
I would start out with 5. You should be able to keep them in a 55 for a few years and if it starts to feel crowded you can sell a couple.
Don't listen to him, he has no idea what he's talking about.

I would say 5. For a few years anyway. Once it starts getting cramped you could sell off a couple of them.

catfishmike

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Sin City, again...
all right knock it off.as fars as i know they are different folks and this is a long running joke between them.i don't think that a 55 is a good choice for a r.b pirahna.when keeping pirahna bigger is better,the obvious reasons of course are that they come from clean water and they are messy fish.also they obtain a large size and 5 would be way too many in a 55 and perhaps just right in a 150 or larger,but if it were me i would go 200 or larger.the other reason is that gives you more room to aquascape,mainly around the sides and top or the tank shading it and giving the fish comfort,while still providing a large vewing area.

Jul 16, 2003
www.piranha-fury.com
Yeah, in a perfect world a 180 would be great for 3 reds, im sure they would love it but it would be an amazingly boring tank. A 75 would be a better tank because it is wider but a 55 is fine for 5 small reds. In a few years you will need to get rid of 1 or 2, or get a larger tank, but so what? In 2 years you will know if you want to make that commitment to these fish or try something else. You guys act like these fish dont jump to 12" over night. Yes they do grow to 6" pretty quickly but then slow considerably.

A single red will not outgrow a 55, unless you think a 12" fish is too large for a 13" X 48" tank. Like I said, in a perfect world we would all love to have a 200 gallon tank for our shoal of 5 neon tetras...but that is idiotic.

Yeah, the English can spell.........a useful skill in a world with spell checker...LOL
Im just kidding ya man, I actually like Blair. He has the balls to stand up for what he believes in...rare in politics these days.

Purple

Superstar Fish
Oct 31, 2003
Hampshire UK
Visit site
I've seen a group of 6 red bellies in a display tank - round the 100 gal mark. Comfortable enough for a while - but it's no real longterm prospect.

As for Blair- he's about the same - ok for now - but don't confuse sincerity for the desire to be re-elected (we've had worse - no prospect of better - but that's still no excuse for "chamelionic" politicians).

Now - if we could put politicians in a tank that's eventually too small for them - maybe they could choke on their own ******

However - back to the thread....................lol

Angelfish

Superstar Fish
Apr 14, 2003
Valencia, California.
Originally posted by catfishmike
no i just like to think of the long run because i get attached to my fish and i have a hard time getting rid of them. so i just like to buy the final size tank from the start.
I agree with this 100% Especially because from time to time you get people who say they will get a larger tank when necessary (and Im sure fully intend on) but things coem up and in the end they never do.

Jul 16, 2003
www.piranha-fury.com
I can agree with buying the final size tank to a point but piranhas tend to be a fad fish. People buy then for the wrong reason and soon realize they are not the cold blooded killers they thought they would be....the people that come to realy care about them will do the right thing, others will sell them or take them back to the store where they came. Anyone that comes to really care about a fish will do the right thing and get them the proper size tank or give them to someone that has the resources to care for them in a responsible manner.
I deal with people all the time that go into a lfs, get a 20 gallon and 2 piranhas thinking everything will be fine. When they find out this will not work they usually do the right thing, and if they dont, there is nothing you can say to make them into responsible fish owners. I am sure you guys deal with keepers of other fish that start out the same way, but people usually dont get goldfish with the intention of feeding them hot dogs.

catfishmike

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Sin City, again...
i will admit if you do keep pirahnas like G.G. does,it makes sense to keep them in a smaller tank.he does bring up a good point about them being fad fish.once people find out the shy,skittish side of pirahna,they become disinterested.feeding time is amazing,but the rest of the day tends to consist of a loose school of fish slowly swimming the day away,darting to the back of the tank when danger comes near(anyone but the feeder)

Jul 16, 2003
www.piranha-fury.com
My fish are not in small tanks...I have one 16" rhom in a 120 gallon. three 11-12" terns in a 125. one 4" red in a 75. and four 5"-6" s. geryi in a 75. I was simply saying that it is ok to start them out in a smaller tank until you decide if you want them or not....and not all species of piranha are skittish. The Genus Serrasalmus is not a skittish group at all.