PH Problems..

R

ronrca

It is not a common misconception that carbon will leak garbage back. I think it is a more common misconception that carbon will not leach back into the water.

Quote from www.notcatfish.com
"Carbon is a very absorptive material. It is only effective for a short period of time before requiring replacement. This is to avoid substances, which having been absorbed by the carbon, washing back into the aquarium."

I cant believe that some people do not worry about pH. It can make a big difference especially to those that have Discus.

Matt Nace

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Pennsylvania
Hi Jwright----

I do pay some attention to Ph, and agree, that most fish can live in any PH, but did you read what is happening in her tank?

When someone says their PH is in the 7.0-8.0 and is dropping below 6, you have a problem.

I already explained my point earlier about what is going on in the tank.

How does cycling , which she is going through, affect PH?

Even if they recieved damage with Ammonia/nitrIte to their gills, the temperture is in the 80's, any additional aeration would help, as they are not getting O2 that they need.

JWright

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Snowy Upstate New York
www.cnytheater.com
ronrca, I'll reply to your quote with another one. " There are many warnings against carbon on the boards, saying that after saturation, it can release material back into the water column.  This is not true.  Repeat: GAC does not and cannot release material it has captured under tank or household conditions.  In the lab, carbon can be extracted to some extent by use of specialized solvents, generally very strong bases (alkalis).  This is far outside the range of any biological or household situation..."

That's from RTR's article in Aquasource magazine. You can read the whole thing here.

Now re: pH, you'll notice I said, "Most fish are very adaptable and can handle most any pH (so long as it's stable)."

I understand that there are some fish that don't do well at extreme pH's (discus, etc.), I also understand most fish don't handle rapid pH swings well, but I feel that, as a rule, the buzz-word "pH" is overused and the real problem is ignored.

I don't think pH is really an issue here at all. She's keeping S.A. cichlids, so a pH of 6.0 is fine.

I don't think an air stone is gonna add any more 0[sub]2[/sub] than the two HOBs already are.

Josh

Matt Nace

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Pennsylvania
Unfortantly, it is not stable. That is why I felt it was an issue.

I have no comment on carbon except why even use it...It is just a waste of money as cycle, except when you want meds out. I used for years...I stopped using it a few years ago, and it was a waste of money.

Anyway..Luna..what is happening with your tank ..update?

R

ronrca

I guess I left the pH a little open ended. I do agree with you! Too much emphasis is placed on pH and not the cause but yet it cannot be ignored. Partically it is important when crossing 7.0.

I have also read other articles about carbon where it is proved that the carbon, after bonding, will release again and leak back. I'll post the article when I find it. I agree with Ruby, why use it in the first place. I only have some on hand for emergencies.