oh no, ripped fins!

ValRasbora

Superstar Fish
May 2, 2009
Atlantic Canada
did I already post this? Hm... anyways, I woke up this morning to find my male guppy (guppler LOL) had torn fins. Not too too bad, but it sure doesn't look as nice. I'm not sure if it got caught on something sharp but there's nothing really sharp in the tank as far as I know. How fragile are guppy fins? This is the 1st time I've ever kept gups. The betta imbellis don't seem to mind them, infact they're more active and Peekaboo often pals around with the guppy girls! Or could the be agressive after lights-out? I really doubt fin rot as well, my tanks get water changes about 30% every 2 weeks, so my water is clean.

Should I move him into my 20 gal if the tail gets worse (bullying)? How long does it take to heal? The tank has salt in it, I'll probably add a bit more soon.

wananwu

Small Fish
Feb 6, 2010
My sword-tails get injured fins from time to time. Well before you quarantine the guppy try to mend him in tank. Raise the tank temp about two degrees if possible, add about a half dose of melafix for two or three days, and just watch her and make sure the bullying was just a one time thing. The fin should be alright after a week or so just need to keep the chances of infection down.

ValRasbora

Superstar Fish
May 2, 2009
Atlantic Canada
Nope. Bullying wasn't a 1-time thing :( it's my male betta-imbellis ("peaceful betta")
I got a gorgeous yellow female guppy. Her whole body is a vibrant yellow and her tail is only 1mm bigger than my other females (who aren't being bullied) but yellow-guppy was bullied :(

ValRasbora

Superstar Fish
May 2, 2009
Atlantic Canada
I'll be moving the gups out sometime this summer.
I'll be working on a paludarium in a 15 gallon tank. Woot! another tank from the garbage hehe. The guppies and maybe a couple mollies will be the aquatic residents. I'll probably have newts, toads and some kind of lizard. This whole paludarium stocking thing is a lot trickier than in an aquarium!

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
paludarium should be with the bettas. a reduced water volume usually doesnt work well with fish that cannot breathe air directly like non-anabantoid fishes.(ex. your mollies and others)

ValRasbora

Superstar Fish
May 2, 2009
Atlantic Canada
that was my afterthought... I think now I want to have some anabantids in the paludarium. I was looking at some awesome pics :p) not to mention the wild exotic look these imbellis have, it would match the paludarium feel quite nicely. I caught the male betta imbellis right after chasing and nipping a gup girl and was he ever revved up! He looked nothing short of awesome lol. His caudal fin was practically all crimson, his pelvic fins had an awesome icy blue, his anal fin was finally getting blue and red streaks going through it. I wish I had my camera with me! He looked really exotic ;) but now he's toned down. phoo.
I was thinking I might be able to get that colorful look more often if I kept him in with some other really mildly agressive fish (like a pair of gourami or other anabantid)? to keep him on his toes (...fins...) and all revved up, what'd you think? He has about the same agression of a female betta splendens.
p.s. the tank will prolly be about 2/3 full at the least.

ValRasbora

Superstar Fish
May 2, 2009
Atlantic Canada
no I wouldn't put them in with splendens! I was merely comparing his agression to that of a female betta. about the same agression level.
I was thinking the imbellis pair and a pair of honey gourami and some cories. <sigh> I love cories =)

Feb 27, 2009
I was thinking I might be able to get that colorful look more often if I kept him in with some other really mildly agressive fish (like a pair of gourami or other anabantid)? to keep him on his toes (...fins...) and all revved up, what'd you think?
Constant stress, being "all revved up" is harmful long-term to any fish.

bassbonediva

Superstar Fish
Oct 15, 2009
Northern Arizona
I would like to add that putting newts and toads together isn't a good idea. Toads will eat anything that will fit in their mouths and newts tend to be slower swimming, so the mix is not good. Add in that newts are mostly aquatic, while toads require more land, and in a 15gal tank, you have serious space conflicts. It might work in a bigger tank (like a 55gal), but a small tank just won't work.