Oh dear

Orion

Ultimate Fish
Feb 10, 2003
Kentucky
www.thefishcave.net
Brought home two young discus today. Expect some photo's to come soon. I'm outta town right now, so I pretty much just got to acclimate them and run out the door.

They do like to be in groups, so hopefully the wife will just fall head over heals in love with them and we (I) can get a nice group going. I can't decide if it's dedication, or stupidity when you drop $20 on a single fish and don't think a second thing about it....

Fuzz16

Superstar Fish
Oct 20, 2006
Wellsville, KS
their 40$ at my lfs and thier sick looking and skinny
but then again i have gotten them for 16$ a piece too from local breeders.
consider your buy a steal :)

def want pics!

Orion

Ultimate Fish
Feb 10, 2003
Kentucky
www.thefishcave.net
They look healthy, for what I know about them. Fat and happy I'd say :)

And yeah, $20 is the cheapest I've ever seen them, the few times I have at a store. The LFS owner breeds some, but not these. They have had them for a while and they were well colored in the tank at the store. Once in my tank within an hour they were already exploring.

Orion

Ultimate Fish
Feb 10, 2003
Kentucky
www.thefishcave.net
Never said I wasn't Froggy :p

They sure didn't seem very cichlid-like from the short time I watched them today. Granted, it's been a heck of a day for them though. Like I've said before, If I only want pretty colors I'll toss crayons in a tank. :) But hey, if it keeps the wife interested in my hobby and happy then I'm for it.

Orion

Ultimate Fish
Feb 10, 2003
Kentucky
www.thefishcave.net
Anyone interested in a few photo's?

The flash washed most of the color out of the fella's, but you can get the idea.

You can see the A-hole apisto in the background, just by the look on his face you can tell he's getting ready to do something he shouldn't (but we love him anyway :))

Orion

Ultimate Fish
Feb 10, 2003
Kentucky
www.thefishcave.net
Thanks my Ladies :) I'm embarrassed to say that I haven't done enough to find out exactly what they are, but cobalt looks about right. I'll sit down this weekend and hopefully figure it out lol.

I'm liking them so far. While taking the pictures I was able to spend a bit of time with them. Both are still very shy, but they are rather curious. They are really interested in food, but don't quite have the nerve to rub shoulders yet with the others on a head-to-head basis. Both were out picking the gravel once the initial frenzy was over.

Orion

Ultimate Fish
Feb 10, 2003
Kentucky
www.thefishcave.net
They seem to be adjusting well. One is still a bit shyer than the other at feeding time, but neither one is willing just yet to bump shoulders with the festivum, yet anyway. The other one isn't a bit afraid to swim right to the top front with the rest when they see me comming with the food.

Neither really want to seem to hide a lot anymore either. Apparently to preoccupied with exploring the nooks and crannies of the tank for that.

I find it funny that such a noticeable fish can quickly 'disappear' by just turning straight at you. lol

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
Good to hear they're settling in. :)

Yeah, for big fish, they're great at hiding. We barely saw ours at all when they were in another tank, and I don't think I saw them eat for about 6 months, although they were obviously eating something.

Jan 14, 2007
San Jose
i couldn't help but to read ur guy's conversation and i had to say good buddy i added two young discus just like yours...probably exactly like urs mine are about 3 inchs? they are both really dark but a bit of color is starting to show...

anyone have an explanation for that?

also im on day 5 and one is getting a bit more open the other is still extremely shy...the one thats not so shy comes up and eats just like urs now...

btw id have to say discus are probably the best example to prove that anything and everything love spectrum food!

good luck with ur majestic fish!

Orion

Ultimate Fish
Feb 10, 2003
Kentucky
www.thefishcave.net
well they really should be kept in groups of 5 or 6, and I'm suspecting that with mine one hiding and one being out more may well be signs of dominance. Two that are not paired up are often trouble as one takes all it's aggression out on the other.

lol, funny you should mention NLS food. Everyone BUT the discuss like NLS in my tank. Strange little buggers