Odd tank dimensions

bassbonediva

Superstar Fish
Oct 15, 2009
Northern Arizona
Okay, so a couple of weeks ago in Goodwill, I saw this AWESOME stainless steel rimmed tank for sale. It has a lot of useless junk included with it (the hood is a crappy homemade thing that has shoddy wiring, it has a lot of really old test kits and meds in it, etc) and they want $30 for it. So, I went back in today just for grins and giggles to see what tanks, if any, they had and this tank was still there, which surprised me because last Saturday was 50% off Saturday, where everything in the store was 50% off. So, I got talking to one of the guys I kind of know there (he's helped me a few times and we've talked quite a bit) and I told him that I'd LOVE to have that tank, but $30 is too expensive for it. Our Goodwill has one week number and one colored tag that are 50% off all week and are $1 on Thursday, and it just so happens that this tank will be 50% next week and $1 next Thursday. So anyway, I'm talking to this guy and he says "Well, if this tank is still here come Tuesday of next week, I'll hide it for you and you can come get it on Thursday, so it'll only be a buck." Yeah, even people I hardly know are enablers for MTS! ROFL!

ANYWHO, this tank has some funk dimensions. It is about 24" long, 6" deep and 14" high (measurements are estimated because we had no tape measure). According to AqAdvisor, this makes it about 9 gallons (8.7 gallons, to be exact). Perfect for a betta. My question is, should I get a male halfmoon for it or a male plakat, if I end up getting it (which it looks like I more than likely will)? I don't want any more VTs or CTs. IDK why, but I'm kind of done with them. I've REALLY been wanting a HMPK (halfmoon plakat) male, and some Petcos sell them, but finding them is hit or miss (and the one in my town doesn't carry them). While I think a regular halfmoon would look cool in this tank, for some reason I am REALLY wanting a HMPK and I think one would look cool zipping around this tank.

Something like this boy (WISH I could afford him!!!):
AquaBid.com - Your Aquatic Auction Website

Thoughts?

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
it will work for a half moon. makes sure that the metal does not dissolve into the water and cause problems tho...in other words only silicone and glass should be touching the water in the tank. plakats really do zip around :D they dont have long fins holding them down like most regular bettas.

bassbonediva

Superstar Fish
Oct 15, 2009
Northern Arizona
I checked the inside of the tank last night, and other than the top rim, there is silicone on every seam and the glass makes a solid 90 degree joint with no metal exposed to the water. I'll just have to keep the water level a little lower than the top rim to avoid contact with the metal there. I will probably have to see about getting a glass lid cut because the tank is such funky dimensions.

I would love to have either this boy (he's a full halfmoon, he's just young, so his fins haven't filled out yet):
AquaBid.com - Your Aquatic Auction Website
Or especially this boy (if the breeder decides to sell him...the same breeder bred both of the boys linked to/pictured):

bassbonediva

Superstar Fish
Oct 15, 2009
Northern Arizona
Actually, the boy in the second pic is actually a short-finned male. The #16 is just a young HM who hasn't grown his fins in 'cuz he's still a baby. The breeder sent me the pic of the second boy because I asked her if she knew any HMPK breeders in AZ (she used to live in AZ, but now lives in CA). She asked if I had my heart set on a HMPK because she might have that boy available.

bassbonediva

Superstar Fish
Oct 15, 2009
Northern Arizona
I have my HM, Amun, who is being upgraded to a 10gal tank (probably tomorrow). I am REALLY hoping that breeder decides to sell that second male (the short-finned one). I told her to let me know first if she decided to sell him because I would DEFINITELY take him (provided I have the room and haven't gotten a fish for this odd tank yet).

I'll try to get back to Goodwill tonight to take a pic of that tank (will probably be a cell phone pic...I would have taken one last night, but my cell phone was dead) and to get exact measurements on it so I'll know exactly how big it is.

bassbonediva

Superstar Fish
Oct 15, 2009
Northern Arizona
Okay, so here's the tank as it is sitting in Goodwill right now.
Front view:

Side view:

I was *barely* off on the measurements for this tank. It is actually 24" long, 7" deep and 12.5" high. I measured it with a tape measure tonight when I took the pics. Not bad for a girl eyeballing it, eh? ;)

Made the mistake of going into Petco and fell in love with this boy. If I'd had $15, he'd be MINE!

If he's still there on Friday, I'm going to get him and put him in either the 6gal FBH (Amun's current tank, but he's upgrading tomorrow to the 10gal) or the 5gal bowfront. I'm leaning more toward the 6gal because it already has an established sponge filter.