New tank, no fish, high Nitrite

lauraf

Superstar Fish
Jan 1, 2010
Vancouver, British Columbia
Adding pure ammonia is the best way to keep the levels stable, but anything that decays will produce ammonia: dead fish, dead shrimp, dead plants, fish food, etc. Anything organic (was once alive) will produce ammonia when the bacteria breaks it down during the decay process.
That's what I was thinking. Just as an option for those who might not be able to get pure ammonia. I know there is the possibility of adding disease, and the levels won't be as controlled as measured amounts of ammonia . . . .

Hey Brian - I get you. But the bacteria causing the high nitrite could still die off without an ammonia source, even as the bacteria converting the nitrite to nitrate is working away . . . . So stop doing water changes, and continue to add some sort of ammonia source until the nitrite drops to zero (along with ammonia) and the nitrates spike?

brian1973

Superstar Fish
Jan 20, 2008
Corpus Christi, Texas
Hey Brian - I get you. But the bacteria causing the high nitrite could still die off without an ammonia source, even as the bacteria converting the nitrite to nitrate is working away . . . . So stop doing water changes, and continue to add some sort of ammonia source until the nitrite drops to zero (along with ammonia) and the nitrates spike?
Thanks for clearing that up, I didnt even think of the original bacteria dying off, I personally am curious on where the nitrites are coming from, would have to be the cycle product I would guess??

aakaakaak

Superstar Fish
Sep 9, 2010
Chesapeake, Virginia
I had a similar issue with high nitrites and no ammonia or nitrates to speak of. It turns out it was either a bad filter or too many water changes to let the cycle go through. The test kit was day-glow purple for nitrites (at least 5PPM) for around two weeks before it finally rolled over. Unfortunately, I was one of those poor unfortunate beginners that thought cycling the tank started with no chemicals or decay involved. So a few mollies were sacrificed to the cycle gods. (For some reason my danios are impervious to pain.)

So now that I'm a bit wiser and starting the cycle on my first upgrade tank (29 gal) I'm a bit smarter about it. I'm taking some of my substrate from my clean and established tank, as well as flake feeding it.

(Apparently some of the more friendly and/or local stores will give/sell you a small bag of established/cycled substrate to get you going.)

This has been a good thread. If I start another tank I may try the straight ammonia method.

lauraf

Superstar Fish
Jan 1, 2010
Vancouver, British Columbia
Thanks for clearing that up, I didnt even think of the original bacteria dying off, I personally am curious on where the nitrites are coming from, would have to be the cycle product I would guess??
I'd guess so too.

And wouldn't the original bacteria die off without a constant ammonia source? Then the whole cycle would break down, because the nitrate-producing bacteria would starve too . . . . .