new species of betta

drake53

Large Fish
Mar 11, 2007
southern Texas
I was at a community fish club meeting a few weeks ago and one of the people speaking had been to southern asia over the summer and had discovered some new fish species one of them including a new species of betta. i can't remmember the name but it is believed to be one of the largest betta species in the world.

Feb 27, 2009
I was at a community fish club meeting a few weeks ago and one of the people speaking had been to southern asia over the summer and had discovered some new fish species one of them including a new species of betta. i can't remmember the name but it is believed to be one of the largest betta species in the world.
Did the speaker mention if it was a mouth-brooder?

bassbonediva

Superstar Fish
Oct 15, 2009
Northern Arizona
I wonder if King bettas get any bigger than the size they are when you buy them (I've only ever seen them at Petco and they're about 3" or so). My older females are almost the same size as the King bettas I've seen at Petco, my girls are just more colorful. :p

bassbonediva

Superstar Fish
Oct 15, 2009
Northern Arizona
I honestly don't know. I even have looked at the local "ma & pa" pet stores that carry fish. One of them I thought had a king or two, but they just ended up being mature females. I live in a tiny town, though, with only one Petco, one Petsmart and two small "ma & pa" stores. But I know for a fact that Petsmart, at least in AZ, doesn't carry them. I asked in the one here and a couple down in Tucson and Phoenix and they looked at me like I was crazy. I'll have to ask in Petco if they are the only ones who carry the Kings and why.

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
Theyre certainly the only ones in my area as well, and i live in NJ. these king bettas are just simple plakats bred for "giant" genes. average size for em is around 3" but rarer ones have been raised to be around 5"
To me, theres nothing special in the petco ones, as theyre often near the end of their days, the way theyre sold... almost always those kings are males. I almost had an impulse buy on one of them, but then i discovered that they weren't the plakats i was looking for =/

DarkLies

Large Fish
Nov 9, 2009
Louisiana
Aww =/
It rather fails that they're selling almost dead fish -.-

Also, TINY TOWN? Where I live there's only 1 "ma & pa" store and you have to drive 50 miles to the nearest Petsmart/Petco =P I'm jealous