My new Cray

Big Vine

Elite Fish
Feb 7, 2006
Florida
Nice...I love the red!
Looks like Procambarus clarkii (a.k.a. 'Red Swamp Crayfish'). A few more moults and that tiny claw of his will be just about back to normal.

BV

Big Vine

Elite Fish
Feb 7, 2006
Florida
what is the major distinguishing characteristic between alleni and clarkii?
Well, normally I don't go by color, but in this case it seems to be a dead give away for P. clarkii a.k.a. "Red Swamp Crayfish."

The proper way to tell though, is by looking at the aereola (the line on the back of the carapace). On clarkii, there will be no gap---it will appear as a line. On alleni, there will be a gap. I can include pics if you want...just let me know.

Now the real crayfish experts are likely to tell you that the only sure-fire way of making an accurate I.D. on many N. American crays is by closely examining the gonopods on a form I male. Nevertheless, I am still fairly confident in the I.D. I gave in this particular situation. No iron-clad guarantees though, lol. :rolleyes:

BV ;)

AlyKat

Large Fish
Aug 3, 2007
New York
Well, normally I don't go by color, but in this case it seems to be a dead give away for P. clarkii a.k.a. "Red Swamp Crayfish."

The proper way to tell though, is by looking at the aereola (the line on the back of the carapace). On clarkii, there will be no gap---it will appear as a line. On alleni, there will be a gap. I can include pics if you want...just let me know.
Clarkii can be blue as well? And white too, right? Same for Alleni? And yeah, pics would be great! :)