My EcoSphere is still "alive!"

Dec 14, 2011
WI
I just checked on it today and one of the shrimp is still kicking. I originally had four, but the other three died during the summer. I haven't been moving it out of the sun every six hours like they say, so it must be in a place where it doesn't get too much. I'm so glad to see that it's still okay. =]

Dec 14, 2011
WI
It was a gift from a friend, and they're really expensive to buy. As long as I don't break it, I can have it refilled for less than the cost of a new one. The only reason to get one is because it's a completely self sufficient ecosystem (except for the sun and temperature.) Besides, the shrimp inside of them are way too small to put into a tank.

Dec 14, 2011
WI
Do you guys not realize just how small these shrimp are? or how expensive it is to buy an EcoSphere? People don't buy them with any intention to break them open. They're far too unique for that.

Feb 27, 2009
On the petshrimp.com website it says they prefer brackish water.
I'm sure if you used Google to search the web, you will find that Halocaridina rubra can live in fresh, brackish, and full marine conditions. They need a minimum of high end brackish water to breed sucessfully, much like the Caridina Japonica
(Amano Shrimp).

They have been used as 'feeder shrimp' for marine tanks for decades. They occur naturally in Hawaii in pools of water that can be slightly brackish to full marine conditions (even more salt that sea water due to water evaporation - salt does not evaporate leaving the remaining water with a higher salinity than the ocean). They exist entirely on algae as no vegatation exists where they live.

The Ecosphere website might tell you more about what this product is: Ecosphere Associates, Inc.: Closed Ecosystem, Self Contained Aquarium

The sun you give the Exosphere helps the algae to grow which, along with the shrimp waste, provides food for the shrimp and other micro-ogranisms. The shrimp and other micro-organisms live and breed by consuming the algae. It is a self-contained eco-system.

Kiara1125

Superstar Fish
Jan 12, 2011
Florida
Ecosphere Associates Inc. said:
Inside each EcoSphere are active micro-organisms, small shrimp, algae and bacteria, each existing in filtered sea water. Because the EcoSphere is a self-sustaining ecosystem, you never have to feed the life within. Simply provide your EcoSphere with a source of indirect natural or artificial light and enjoy this aesthetic blend of art and science, beauty and balance.

Because the living organisms within the EcoSphere utilize their resources without overpopulating or contaminating their environment, the EcoSphere requires virtually no maintenance.
I don't know about you guys. But I think that this totally defeats the purpose of aquarium and fish keeping.

Dec 14, 2011
WI
Anywho, how long has your Ecosphere been going?? Some people have had theirs for 16 years, all with the original shrimp.
I've only had it since late last May. When I went on vacation that summer, I left it in the care of my friend (the same one who bought it for me) and 3/4 of the shrimp died.

Dec 14, 2011
WI
The other shrimp were already dead before I stopped moving it. My friend said he moved it when he had it in his possession, but I think the sunlight was too direct.