My Alkalinity is high

War Eagle

Small Fish
Sep 5, 2008
Cumming, Georgia
So I did a 10% water change and good cleaning on my tank yesterday (12 g cube) and decided to do a few tests. PH is 8.4, Nitrites are 0, Alk is high off the chart. What causes that and how do I bring it down? I have been adding Kent Calcium (A and B parts one every other day) and Kent Iodine (very small dose 2 ml every other day). Is high Alk bad for fish or coral? I only have a few polyps and very small feather dusters.

Thanks for any info.

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
What test are you using for it? Usually, the drop tests won't ever go "off the chart" but will give you a high reading. Also, what's your calcium reading? With the two-part additives, you should always test before dosing. One will be calcium and the other will be alkalinity. You may only need to add one of them most of the time, depending on the salt mix.

Stopping adding the alkalinity component and water changes will lower the alkalinity. It shouldn't be too bad for the corals, as long as you stop adding it.

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
Most salt mixes will have enough essential elements necessary to maintain adequate ca and alk especially if you do not have a high number of ca hungry corals such as sps or clams. So, I am not sure why you are adding a two part as you are definitely not needing it. I would suggest you do another 10% water change (I would check your alk of the water change water prior as sometime it is on the high side already) attached is a calculator that you can use which will help regain control of these parameters. This is part of the reason many newbies are steered towards larger tanks as these parameters can quickly go out of control in a small volume of water. You should be able to maintain these parameters with water changes alone. Good luck and let us know how you make out.

Reef Chemistry Calculator

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
You should still be able to get an alkalinity reading, even if you have to add 20 or 30 drops. It would be a good idea to find out exactly how high your alkalinity is. You should also be testing your calcium if you have corals and are adding calcium supplements. A magnesium test would be helpful, too. Magnesium affects the calcium and alkalinity, and will also affect coraline growth.

S.Reef

Superstar Fish
Dec 1, 2003
Michigan
An actual reading on the ALk would really help. Have your LFS test your alk most stores have pretty nice kits and can give you an accurate reading. Alk, Ca and Mg are all needed for coralline growth

War Eagle

Small Fish
Sep 5, 2008
Cumming, Georgia
I have been doing 1 gal water changes since the weekend. I'm planning to take a water sample into the LFS this weekend. I'll also try and get a better test kit, the one I have is kinda old and may be inaccurate. I have "some" coraline on my a few of my LR pieces, it was there when I baught the rock, but it just doesn't seem to be spreading.

The polyp frag I bought a few weeks ago is still hanging on, no change really, no worse and no better. Anyway, the frag is on a small piece of LR with some other things on it as well. Several very small feather dusters and a couple things I can't identify. There are some dark green bubbles (less than 1/4 inch each), I assume some kind of algea, it has not grown or spread either. Also ther is what appears to be a ponge on the bottom corner of the rock. It's very light yellow and looks like what you see sold in store as natural sponge. Does either of these sound familiar? Sorry I can't figure out the picute posting thing.

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
How long has this tank been set up? It could just be that you are trying to rush things along and believe me that is not the best thing in this hobby. Get some accurate parameters and give us some details on equipment and how long you have had this set up.....

Jan 18, 2010
Oxford England
I have the same problem, my alkalinity is 16 (Has been as high as 21) and Calcium is currently 560 (again have been as high as 620) everything else ok except Nitrates which are at 20 but due a water change so hopefully that should help. Is there anything I can do about Calcium and Alk without adding chemicals, I find these then in turn effect my PH and I just seem to go round and round in circles?