Jan 2, 2007
Tejas
www.myspace.com
Tom's 55 Gallon Planted Journal

-UPDATE-

I purchased several new plants yesterday:

-ludwgia (2) (Ludwigia repens)
-cardinal plant (Lobelia cardinalis)
-watersprite (Ceratopteris thalictroides)
-corkscrew val (2) (Vallisneria americana v. 'Biwaensis')
-banana plant (3) (Nymphoides aquatica)
-red melon sword (very large...was able to separate into two medium-sized plants; not sure of the exact type)
- one unidentified plant; appears to be Japanese cress (Cardamine lyrata)

I also picked up five glow-light tetras. I plan on having a school of about ten in this tank.

Today I ordered a few things from one of the MFT sponsors (Aquariumguys), including a glass top (which was on sale, plus I got the MFT discount *thumbsups ). My wife is afraid the kid will throw stuff in the tank, etc.). Personally, I like how the legs look and the ability to flip the lights back. I also ordered a Red Sea CO@ Reactor 500.

Last time I ordered from another MFT sponsor (That Fish Place) and had great results. Anyway, just wanted to say thanks to the sponsors!

I also bought this 5 gallon CO2 tank on ebay:

I ordered this regulator system from a sponsor on another forum I use :

I will post some pictures later.

Last edited:

tom91970

Superstar Fish
Jan 2, 2007
Tejas
www.myspace.com
Plants purchased on 46/08:

I think this might be Japanese cress (Cardamine lyrata):

Same plant (in tank):

Full shot of tank after all plants have been planted along with other plants taken from other tanks:

note: I’ve ordered some Lime Off which hopefully will be here any day now. I have been unable to remove the streaks on the right hand side with anything else.

tom91970

Superstar Fish
Jan 2, 2007
Tejas
www.myspace.com
Close-ups of right side of tank:

*taken without flash:

Close-ups of left side of tank:

I covered part of this long piece of driftwood with substrate to make it look more like a root:

Close-up of Echinodorus tenellus (pygmy chain sword)

tom91970

Superstar Fish
Jan 2, 2007
Tejas
www.myspace.com
Here’s an updated list of current plants:

ludwgia (Ludwigia repens)
cardinal plant (Lobelia cardinalis)
watersprite (Ceratopteris thalictroides)
corkscrew val (Vallisneria americana v. 'Biwaensis')
banana plant (Nymphoides aquatica)
some type of red melon sword
pygmy chain sword (Echinodorus tenellus)
Brazilian pennywort (Hydrocotyle leucocephala)
micro sword (Lileaopsis brasiliensis)
java fern (‘Tropica’ or ‘Phillipine’) (Microsorum pteropus)
pearlweed (Hemianthus micranthemoides)
wisteria (Hygrophila difformis)
rotala indica
java moss (Vesicularia dubyana)
??????? Japanese cress (Cardamine lyrata) ????????

As soon as my red and bronze crypts in the 14g tank multiply I’ll be adding some of those to this tank. I’m also planning on adding glosso, Mexican Oak Leaf, Didiplis Diandra and some Stargrass (had some in the 14g but it died off). I might also buy some Crypt Balansae.

WPG is 2.3. I have the lights on a timer which runs from about noon until 10:00 p.m.

tom91970

Superstar Fish
Jan 2, 2007
Tejas
www.myspace.com
My Milwaukee MA957 regulator system arrived today.

Now all I need is my CO2 tank to start injecting some good ol' carbon dioxide.

I also bought some more plants today: Heteranthera zosterfolia (to replace what I lost), Didilpis diandra, and some bacopa. Those should arrive by early or middle of next week.

tom91970

Superstar Fish
Jan 2, 2007
Tejas
www.myspace.com
The FedEx man was here an hour ago. I now have my CO2 tank I bought on eBay and the reactor I bought from Aquariumguys. I hope to have the tank filled tomorrow.

I also picked up my plants at the post office today (Heteranthera zosterfolia, Didilpis diandra, and some bacopa). There were supposed to be some extra plants in there, but I won't open the package until I go home in about 4 hours. I'm curious as to what they might be...if any.

tom91970

Superstar Fish
Jan 2, 2007
Tejas
www.myspace.com
It's been nearly two months since the last update of the growth progress. Most of the pics I took last week were kinda blury so I'm only posting one. It's not great but will give you an idea of what the tank looks like at this point.

tom91970

Superstar Fish
Jan 2, 2007
Tejas
www.myspace.com
UPDATE

I figured it was time for an update. Here are a few pics from 6/26/08.

Right side:

Left side:

FTS:

Close up of the middle (just to show off the angel :D)

The pennywort reflects a lot of the flash and ruins the picture.

I moved the driftwood in the far right end (after taking this pic) to make it appear larger by placing it at an angle (shows off the java fern better, too). I'll post a pic of that later.

I bought a red honey gourami last month but he was sick and died after three weeks. It's been replaced with a male and female pair of pearl gourami. *thumbsups

I added some salvinia last week and some amazon swords three weeks ago.

Now I just need a good set of tools (tweezers, scissors, etc).

tom91970

Superstar Fish
Jan 2, 2007
Tejas
www.myspace.com
Thanks!

I need to update the pictures, though. This past weekend I removed the petrified wood on the left side with a huge piece of driftwood I recently purchased. It was too wide for the tank so I replaced it with two smaller pieces from my 29g.

tom91970

Superstar Fish
Jan 2, 2007
Tejas
www.myspace.com
Here's a more recent pic showing the addition of the two new pieces of driftwood on the left; coffee anunias is attached to those pieces.

Also, I thought I would show some recent fish additions:

Bristlenose plec (been in the tank 2+ months)-

Two Pearl gourami (pic taken while still in the bag being acclimated to the tank; been in the tank for about three weeks)-

German Blue Ram (one of two that were bought a week ago)-

Last edited:

tom91970

Superstar Fish
Jan 2, 2007
Tejas
www.myspace.com
I've taken out some plants, hoping to eliminate my string algae problem (seems like it started about the time my tank ran out of CO2). Last weekend I added a few rocks that I collected from the Sulphur River, south of Paris, TX.

Here are a few full tank shots:

Changed the rocks around a little, and moved the anubias up:

I added the two pearl gouramis from the 29g to give me a total of four in this tank. You can see three of them in this pic:

More of the pearls and one with the GBR:

Pics of the rocks:

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2008
YOU def need to replace the co2 !! your plants will surley not all live well without it !! with your light, you can go for a shorter light period, and no co2, bbbuuuuttt they would grow SO much better and NO algea just with the co2 !!! I do diyco2, you could make one 2 liter easy .... whats going on with the co2 , ? how is the tank ? how do the GBR and the angels get along > ? I want to get a few, but I am scared to add anything to my angels . I also need to sell off a few angels, I have to many . so lets see the tank ... how is everything ???

tom91970

Superstar Fish
Jan 2, 2007
Tejas
www.myspace.com
YOU def need to replace the co2 !! your plants will surley not all live well without it !! with your light, you can go for a shorter light period, and no co2, bbbuuuuttt they would grow SO much better and NO algea just with the co2 !!! I do diyco2, you could make one 2 liter easy .... whats going on with the co2 , ? how is the tank ? how do the GBR and the angels get along > ? I want to get a few, but I am scared to add anything to my angels . I also need to sell off a few angels, I have to many . so lets see the tank ... how is everything ???

The CO2 was replaced a month ago. Those last pics were taken about two weeks after it was replaced and you can really see the difference today.

The GBR gets along great with the angels. All the fish get along well.

I'll post new pics once I take a few.