My 55 Gallon Planted Journal

PerenGee

Large Fish
Sep 20, 2008
San Diego
Nice tank! I'm currently looking for a 55 that I want to go planted with. I'm also thinking of doing Angels. The pics of your tank have reignited my fire to keep searching and saving money for a bigger tank!

Monoxide

Large Fish
Dec 19, 2008
This is great thread for the pictures and for the information giving. Remember people like to see what they can dream on getting and doing if staying in the hobby long enough. Nice so far tho!

tom91970

Superstar Fish
Jan 2, 2007
Tejas
www.myspace.com
It depends on what type of plants you have. Some do well without added CO2 (such as java fern and anubias) but most do better with the addition of CO2. In fact, depending on how much light you are putting into the tank algae may become a problem if you lack CO2 and other nutrients.

tom91970

Superstar Fish
Jan 2, 2007
Tejas
www.myspace.com
I changed the tank up a few days ago. Removed several of the larger rocks and added some wood that had been in another 55g. Also added some new fish. Picked up another Coralife fixture (currently setting on the empty 55g) and as soon as I buy four more lamps I'll be putting it on this tank (two of the lamps are actinic, btw). Will be adding new plants eventually.

Bought 8 or 9 black phantom's a few weeks ago:

Added three cories two days ago:

Some of the older occupants:

tom91970

Superstar Fish
Jan 2, 2007
Tejas
www.myspace.com
Thanks, Brian!

Emmanuel, I picked up some nice pieces of wood at Fish R Us this summer while I was passing through Conroe. I need to make another trip down there for some more. As for the weed of the duck that came in on some salvinia that I received from a trade on plantedtank.net. It's good for reducing nitrates and a place for my fry to hide but it's such a PITA that it's hardly worth it.

Newman, the pearl gouramis are very peaceful (which is why I stick normally stick with them rather than golds, etc). I need to restock on the pearls, though. Found a place that has them super cheap, just need to make the trip to pick them up. The black and silver angel has been in the tank for a long time; the second was put in recently to make room for the oscar that was given to me. The two bettas get along with no problems. I believe they are father and son (or two males from the same batch of fry that hatched nearly a year ago).

tom91970

Superstar Fish
Jan 2, 2007
Tejas
www.myspace.com
It's hard to see, but in the second to last picture you can see the other betta in the bottom left-hand corner. Actually, it looks fine on my pc at home but difficult to see on the pc here at the office.

I have another in a 2.5g, and one that I just added to the 10g (after almost becoming an oscar snack).

After checking an old post I see where I was wrong about the age of the bettas. They will be two years old on 2/6/10. You can check that thread out here:

http://www.myfishtank.net/forum/betta-gourami-discussion/50615-bettas-laying-eggs-w-pictures.html

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
wow that thread is just great.
musta been such a surprise when you walked past the tank that day and saw what you thought were two females all along, mating xD.
I would have to add that you have really awsome dark blue plakat males.

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
every time i look at anyone's tank with coffeafolia, i cry :[
mine died yesterday. in fact for a mysterious reason all of my anubia that i ever bought have died on me.
(PS: I know how to plant them, yet they still failed me >_<)