My ~30 gallon Gold-fish tank

anshuman

Large Fish
Nov 16, 2009
Mumbai India
okay, i totally forgot this, the shop-keeper asked me why am i asking so much stuff, i told him orangina is sick and i didnt cycle the water and it seems the water is bad, so he gave me this bottle of blue liquid, he didnt take money in end (because i bought so much other stuff like Tetra-blackwater which replicates natural black-water and has something that slows algea etc and test-kit which was v v v costly and that tree-stump)

This blue-liquid is not branded but has label on it, "To treat white-spot fungus, finrot etc, Add 5-7 drops per gallon of Aquarium water. This Fluid binds,dissolves metals, avoids stress to fish , makes water clear and cures fish from bacterial diseases "

I am going to add this. :) i had forgotten bout this. and the room is totally dark now, (its 2.15 am here.)

Will update later. Thanks newman again . :) Please keep the tips flowing , I am extremely extremely extremely grateful for all the suggestions and tips.

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
the blue liquid sounds like an ich/ disease medication. i wouldnt really add that at all unless you were experiencing a major ich breakout that had no end. even if you were its more complicated than just adding the liquid to the water. you have to actually add it to the water after a certain amount of time afer the ich has started to go away. this will treat the ich before it reappears again in a week. Research ich for more info on what im saying. especially research its life cycle, and when to treat it. For now if your fish dont ahev it dont use it, as it will stress them even more (especially if it has copper in it)

The yellow bottle in the link is jsut a regular tap water conditioner. I REALLY hope youve been using a condicioner of some sort all along when doing water changes with tapwater... if you already have a tap conditioner theres no need to buy more. remember to treat the tap water BEFORE adding it to the tank. Like fill up a 1gallon jug with tap, then add a drop or two of the dechlorifier (conditioner) and age that water over night. then the next day its ready for a water change. dont just dump tap water into the tank or youll instantly kill the beneficial bacteria with chlorine and your fish will suffer as well.

anshuman

Large Fish
Nov 16, 2009
Mumbai India
* Yes, i wont add that liquid. i read about ICH , nasty parasites eh.

* Ofcourse i condition water. i get tap-water in huge bucket, use the dechlorinator , let it sit for some time, atleast 1 hour. then thats the one i use to fill tank, this make it 10-12% change of water, if i want to change more , i will repeat it after 5-6 hours. :)

anshuman

Large Fish
Nov 16, 2009
Mumbai India
they are doing very good now :) I am posting new topic on that.

BTW, I found a layer of dark-greenish,grayish layer of algae (I think!) growing on inside of tank-wall, I took sponge which i use to clean top of tank and cleaned all this layer from inside . I hope this is okay and good for tank, I dearly hope anyone here (newman) doesn't reply "OMG you @$#@&!% that was cycling your tank and you destroyed the good bacteria...your fishes DIEEE".

please confirm :)

anshuman

Large Fish
Nov 16, 2009
Mumbai India
okay, i can consider this closed as the fishes are still alive and kicking (literally) . I really should attach new images and vids, the goldfish didnt allow me to keep plants as i wished, they constantly knocked them flat (if not out) so i had to plant them as they allowed and its looking v v different now. Will update later. Also i added a airstone (its 6" bar actually, looks v nice).

ValRasbora

Superstar Fish
May 2, 2009
Atlantic Canada
wow this thread is amazing. You're crazy! You're amazing, you kept those TWO goldfish ALIVE in a BOWL for like a year! When I was starting out, I purchased 3 goldfish and put them in a ten gallon and couldn't keep them alive for more than about 3 months. (they died of a massive ich breakout, etc.) Those are miracle fish, I tell you ;)! And nice tank- I'd say probably 4/5 stars! Those goldies are really beautiful, too. Nice job!

anshuman

Large Fish
Nov 16, 2009
Mumbai India
lol . thanks. This thread can give so much hope to others who come in similar situation. ( and i guess almost all new owners do this mistakes that i made ).

This thread just shows how different fry's can differ from other fry's , just because one small pair of fry's survived in rough condition wont guarantee others will too. cause , in that bowl, i had 2 pairs, 1 pair died after 6 months, they were pretty big (like 2-3 inches) but died, this 2 really survived good and were Always happy, i never saw them sulking in corner and not coming to eat or like that in that bowl, but when i started seeing them not able to run like they used to (when feeding they are excited bunch. v hyper ), i knew its time i really got big tank as fast as possible. If i had larger space, believe me i would had got 50 gallon tank, but i had limited space. So this ~28 gallon had to do.

I also want to add this, Where i leave, its summer all year along, Winter temp. ranges from Avg 20°c (68F) and in summers Avg. temps are 36°c (95F), so this natural temp. might be helping my fishies i guess. Ofcourse in summer, it was easy to move the bowl in coldest spot in house and in winter near window for sunlight etc. right now I have placed tank in coldest spot of house, so i will have to watch temps.

I think this goldfish-pair genes are really hardy and if i can, i might(or i think i should) venture into catching their fry/egg (whatever it is) and breed.

Last edited:

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
if you want to breed then read up on that and watch youtube vids (please dont watch the hand spawning ones, those are just wrong. your eyes will burn after you watch those >_<) i think if you manage to finally breed em, then you will be the goldfish master lol. you have the gift, i can see it by the way you could keep them alive like that xD

and good luck with the tank.

Apr 14, 2008
LOL! That reminds me of finding nemo. "SWIM DOWN!"

Which BTW, how did she even get her fat butt to fit in the feeder!? LOL She looks small in that pic...was she back then?

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
yea this was back when i was starting to set up the 40. she was much smaller (maybe 2")
and the whole reason she got into that mess is because i improperly installed that worm feeder. i installed it below water surface instead of leaving it floating above the waters surface.
Even with proper installation tho, ive found sword fry inside that feeder... (they were playing into their inevitable fate i guess :( )

yah its taking the swim down tactic to a whole new level...a level of unimaginable stupidity :D (on my part that is)