My 20 Gallon Nano Reef Journal

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
Good luck with the cyano. I used some red slime remover, but I understand that if the tank is less than a year old it can kill everything.

I'm currently dosing the AP Algae Fix Marine for my hair algae problem. From what I've read, it usually starts to kick in around the fifth dose. I recently did a two-day blackout, which helped with the algae somewhat. I'm hoping it weakened it enough for the Algae Fix to work. My corals and fish were all fine without light for two days.

Sometimes, odd things show up in your tank. It's possible a hermit pulled the shell out from within the rock, or something.

DarthPadre

Large Fish
Feb 8, 2009
6/4/09

The tank has had some setbacks. Red Slime is slowing but it's still a problem. I think the treatment is working just in time. I still have to siphon it out every 3 days still. I'm running the lights only 4-6 hrs. a day and had one complete black-out day. Some sort of thin white membrane started to cover my devils hand. I'm assuming it is some sort of fungus. I siphoned it off no problem and it didn't grow back. However it consumed and killed my toadstool in 24 hours. While removing the toadstool I fumbled with it and tiny parts broke off and disintegrated in the water. I pray this fungus does not spread. Again, I'm keeping a close watch and will purchase some anti fungal Megafix product if I see it again. All fish and other inverts are okay, but I can just tell my coral are all very susceptible right now. Again, I am worried about the toxins produced by the slime, but don't know how to test. I am seriously considering putting a carbon bag back in the HOB just in case (and clean it every day). Last thing - that albino snail is actually alive. Freaky freaky freaky. Here are pictures.

Tank - Red Slime
Crappy pic of Goby
Albino Snail

Attachments