My 20 Gallon Nano Reef Journal

Feb 8, 2009
I am completely new to saltwater aquariums. I’ve had freshwater aquariums throughout my life so I know that there is a wide variance of opinions you will hear from hobbyists regarding every subject from equipment to feeding to water changes and on and on. However, I had no idea how much this variance in opinion is amplified in the saltwater world. I simply wanted to share the journal of my 20 gal. nano reef tank as yet another reference point for nano hobbyists, especially beginners like myself. I will also share both advice and opinions, both in (parentheses). I am no expert, and have/will make mistakes, so please just use the advice and opinions as just that – advice and opinions. If you are using this as a guide supplement for your nano reef I will assume you have read lordroad’s step-by-step nano reef guide (thank you very, very much lordroad – I probably would never have set up a reef tank if it wasn’t for your guide).

3/7/09

Rinsed 20 lbs. of sand and added to tank along with 18 gallons distilled water. After two hours installed two powerheads (295 GPH each) and heater (100w). Added IO salt and API Marine Buffer per directions.

(Opinion – Regarding Water Gravity: I believe 1.023 is an “ideal” gravity because nano’s are subject to evaporation and the subsequent increase in gravity. With a low preset gravity there is more tolerance to this known increase.)

3/8/09

Gravity at 1.020. Added more salt. pH at 8.2. Temp. at 81 deg. Water is cloudy.

3/9/09

Gravity at 1.022. Added more salt in ratio to the increase from yesterday (1/8 cup salt = +.002 : 1/16 cup salt = +.001). pH at 8.2. Temp. between 78 – 83 deg. Water still cloudy. Procured 22 lbs. of partially cured Fiji live rock (LR). Removed 2 gallons of water from tank and rinsed rocks. Found a hitch hiking snail (I still don’t know what he is – looks like a larger spiky Nerite). Turned powerheads off. Put rocks and snail into tank moving sand aside as I placed rocks to make sure they were firmly planted. Waited an hour and turned powerhead back on. A few hours later the water cleared up completely. (Time to acknowledge and thank Lotus for answering questions and moderating the saltwater forums on MFT.net.)

(Advice – Regarding placing LR: Add the sand after placing the LR in the tank. It may be a bit messier, but the powerheads are going to blow sand all over your tank anyways. If sand ever ends up on LR and you want it off, either use a turkey baster to “blow” water over the LR or use an unattached gravel cleaner upside down, so the small end is down, and quickly pump up and down again “blowing” water, or pressure washing, the LR. )

(Opinion – Regarding LR: This is where you will encounter your first real difference of opinion, which is what type of LR to procure. Not specifically what location, or if you should get premium or not, but rather if you should get cured or uncured LR. Cured is more expensive than uncured, but your tank will cycle quicker with cured as opposed to uncured. My suggestion is uncured. Not only is it less expensive, but you will ensure that your tank properly cycles. This will also give you more time to read as much as you can about your next few steps with your nano reef. Information and patience/caution are your best friends.)

3/12/09

Gravity at 1.023. pH at 8.2. Ammonia is unknown (I think I threw away the saltwater card when I originally opened my API test kit as I never thought I would have a saltwater tank – anyways ,the tested saltwater looked like lemon juice). 0.5+ Nitrites. Nitrates unknown (I wasn’t using the test kit correctly. I ignorantly assumed that the API Nitrate test was performed the same as the API Ammonia test. Well, it’s not.). Temp still between 78 – 83 deg. Topped off at 84 deg. so I opened the hood to vent better. I have, and will be, running my 15w light 10 hours a day until I receive my new light fixture.

(Opinion – Regarding running lights during the cycle: Some say to run lights normally while some say not at all, just as lordroad stated in the guide. There are more opinions to keep lights on than to keep them off, so I decided to go with the majority. Actually the majority was that it didn’t matter either way.)

(Opinion – Regarding water changes: Some say to start partial water changes (PWC) as soon as you see Nitrites to preserve as many life forms as possible. Most believe that the benefit of doing this is not worth the effort, and therefore PWC’s during the cycling stage are obsolete. I believe that PWC’s can’t hurt during the cycling stage, but will definitely prolong the cycle and are burden. I actually opt not to change my water until about a week after adding the clean up crew unless there is an emergency.)

3/16/09

pH, Ammonia and Temp all the same. Gravity now at 1.024. Topped off tank with distilled water. Nitrites now at 1.0. Nitrates still unknown. (Time to thank Joeyb1731. Joey’s similar tank is about 1-2 weeks ahead of mine and we have been providing each other with “real time” information. Fortunately this has probably helped me a bit more, like learning how not to acclimate inverts, but I try to be a good cheerleader.)

3/17/09

All readings the same. Nitrates at 5 (I finally decided to read the directions after being concerned about a reading of 30). BTW – The snail is still alive and active.

3/18/09

All readings the same except Nitrites which are now 0.25 and Nitrates which are at 5+. I am yet to see any pods.

3/19/09

All readings the same except no Nitrites. Time for the clean-up crew. I procured the following:

2 Scarlet Hermits
10 Margarita Snails
2 Nerite Snails
1 Turbo Snail
3 Nassarius Snails
1 Conch (Jury’s still out on this guy)
4 empty shells, all larger than the existing Hermit’s shells
And that original snail is still around

Turned off light and drip acclimated inverts using the following method: 1 drip every 2 seconds for 10 minutes. 1 drip every second for 10 minutes. 2 drips every second for 20 minutes. 4 drips every second for 20 minutes. By this time the water had quadrupled. Removed the inverts from the acclimation water and placed into the tank. Discarded acclimation water. Left lights off for the day.

(Opinion – Regarding Hermits: Some say don’t get hermits at all. With snails only you have a lot less worry about harming coral or them eating each other. Some say hermits are fine, but don’t get any that will grow over 1” as most of these can unintentionally harm coral and intentionally eat snails. I personally think the hermits are some of the coolest creatures in the tank, so I’m getting them. I will keep a close eye on them, along with everything else in the tank, and have no problem returning them if a problem arises.)

(Opinion – Regarding Turbo Snails: Yes they are big, but they provide a “big bang for the buck”. I am not worried about it knocking over rocks as most are large and heavy, but will be worried once I have coral. So I have decided to use the $1.25 snail until the coral stage, at which point I will exchange for a few smaller snails.)

(Advice – Regarding acclimation: I know nothing about plants, but highly suggest you drip acclimate every other living creature you put in your saltwater aquarium. There are still many different ways to do this. Your three variables are the frequency of the drip, the duration of dripping and how much water to ultimately add. Also, some say to discard some water throughout the process. Most depends on the sensitivity of the creature, which I’ve been informed is related to the percent of water the creature is composed of, which completely makes sense. My true advice is read as much as you can then develop a cautious method developed from information you’ve gathered related specifically to the creature you are acclimating.)

3/20/09

All readings the same except Nitrites increased to 0.25. All inverts survived the night. Lights back on. As of this date I am still yet to see any pods.

(Opinion – As you can see, not only did I cycle fast, 11 days, I also encountered a second Nitrite “spike”. My theory is that since I used partially cured rocks, which now seem to pretty much be the same as cured rocks, I may have missed a true Ammonia spike which created a smaller population of bacteria in my tank. This smaller population couldn’t completely handle the waste that the inverts stirred up which created an increase in the Nitrite level. This is another reason I suggest uncured LR.)

Feb 8, 2009
3/21/09

All readings the same including the Nitrites, though my Nitrate level is getting closer to 10. Lost one Nassarius. Finally noticed pods, and they’re everywhere. Received new light fixture (maybe that’s why I see the pods). 1 x 65w dual daylight bulb, 1 x 65w dual actinic and lunar light. Will run both bulbs 10 hours a day but am doing a lot of research on light cycles. Prepped 2 gallons of water in case an emergency PWC is need.

(Advice – Regarding Prepping Water: With a tank of 30 gal or less a 10% change is just not that much water. Using another tank and powerhead is not only expensive, but just a pain for that small amount of water. Besides I would rather spend that money on a Q tank. One option is to mix larger batches, split them up and save them in individual 1 gallon jugs. Or….I have a hand held blender stick used to make drinks, soups and sauces. I put the distilled water in a pitcher and mix the salt with this blender stick. In less than a minute the water is completely mixed. I think it was $20 at BB&B, but I’m sure you can find one for less. I’m fortunate enough to live in San Diego and the ambient temp. is, basically, what heats my tanks most of the year. If you need to heat the water simply draw the 1 gallon jugs a bath in a tub or a 5 gallon bucket before measuring gravity and/or adding to your tank.)

I will continue to update this thread as days go on. I am also in the market for a digital camera and as soon as I get my hands on one I will post pictures (duh….).

Feb 8, 2009
3/22/09

Nitrites still at 0.25. Nitrates close to 10. I plan to perform a PWC tomorrow evening. A hermit was upside down this morning and completely inside of his shell. Turned him over but am yet to see it move or even come out of the shell. (I also forgot to acknowledge and thank 1979camaro for answering questions and moderating MFT.net forums.)

Feb 8, 2009
3/23/09

No more Nitrites. Nitrates very close to 10. Performed a PWC. Turns out the hermit did change shells (I even noticed him out of the shell, which freaked me out at first, but then I noticed he was actually eating something on a rock and I calmed down a bit). Identified the unknown snail as a Turbo. Added more to the clean up crew: 2 more Scarlet Hermits, 6 Dwarf Hermits (2 blue, 2 red, 2 zebra) and 2 Astera Snails. Acclimated inverts the exact same was as last time but spend an extra 1/2 hour on the last stage to ensure water level was acceptable. Fed other inverts a tiny amount of brine shrimp while acclimating the new ones. Will still run lights 10 hours a day, but not the dual actinic as this will just be overkill until coral is added.

Feb 8, 2009
3/24/09

Only change since yesterday is that Nitrates went back down to under 5. Lost (am losing) a Margarita snail. Added a 40 GPH HOB filter with AC sock only. The plan is to add 2 gobies this weekend if all continues to go well.

Joeyb1731

Large Fish
Jan 20, 2009
Oceanside NY
I dont know why I am having a second spike, but my snails are big, and i added a bunch at once, Im hoping thats why i got it. I really want to add my clowns on saturday or sunday. Keep me posted on whats going on with you.

Feb 8, 2009
Joey - I have done more research, spoke to a LFS and re-read lord's guide, and I'm 90% sure what you are experiencing is not out of the ordinary, especially for a nano. Even with a freshwater tank, less gallons = more problems. They are just way more sensitive to change. Larger reef tanks probably experience these Nitrite tremors much less than nanos because of the volume of bacteria created. Also, even if you added the same ratio of clean-up crew : gallon to a larger tank, those inverts would kick up less waste, as a % of water, in a larger tank. Nanos are just way more susceptible to change. Plus, I don't know if everyone tests their water as much as you and I, nor do they really need to, to be quite honest. I'm sure people experience this problem and don't even notice. So, I’m sure it will go away, again, but your tank just seems more sensitive than most so just keep that in mind.

OK - I hope all goes well. IMHO don't get the fish until the water is testing normally for 5+ days. You will be feeding your tank A LOT more often, and with its known susceptibility I think you're tanking (meant taking – have tank on the brain – but I’m leaving it) a chance. I do feel you, though. I've had to resist going down to get my two red striped gobies multiple times, and will continue throughout the week. I guess for me, at $25 a pop, I just don't want to mess around.

Joeyb1731

Large Fish
Jan 20, 2009
Oceanside NY
Yea I hear you trust me I don't wanna hurt any fish. This is making me wanna just get some cash and buy a bigger tank. I'm ordering my protein skimmer this weekend. I'm changing the filter to a hang on back instead of the eclipse hoodfilter. I'm gonna fix this because I've never lost a fish and I'm gonna do what I can not to.

Joeyb1731

Large Fish
Jan 20, 2009
Oceanside NY
yes I have a koralia nano powerhead on the opposite side of the filter return. And today I still had .25 nitrites so I had a crazy idea today. I took bottle of my premixed saltwater, I took 2 cups, 1 was plain saltwater, 1 was the same water with my seachem marine buffer in it. I mixed it up and let it dissolve. I tested both water for nitrites. The plain SW was at 0.0, the one with the buffer gave me a little less then .25. Is it possible that the buffer plus the clean up crew turning up alot of ammonia, gave me a " false" positive.??? Could it be, is that why I havnt lost any inverts?

Feb 8, 2009
3/25/09

No change on the tank at all. There are some pockets of "ash" gathering on the sand around the tank. I plan to clean this out during the next PWC. Ordered two gobies at LFS which will be picked up and added to the tank on Saturday afternoon after a PWC that morning.

(Joey - I will do the same experiment tomorrow or the day after when I mix my water again and will let you know how it turns out.)

Feb 8, 2009
3/26/09

Didn't test water today so don't know if anything changed. Lost 1 Nerite Snail. Also noticed a blue hermit out of it's shell and inside a hole in one of the rocks. Unfortunately, it was dead. After a quick freak out I inventoried all of the inverts in the tank, and actually didn't lose any besides the Nerite. Evidently that hermit had been using the rock as it's home and had hitched a ride into my tank and has been there the whole time. Pretty sure he's been dead all along and just surfaced recently (probably dug out of the hole by another hermit). Prepped 4 gallons of water.

(Joey - I performed the experiment. Yes, with API Marine Buffer the water is a slightly different color. It actually didn't look in scale with the color progression on the card, but it didn't look like 0 either. Maybe 0.1 would be my guess, if I had to take a stab. None the less, I don't know if this is a "false positive" or if the buffer actually creates Nitrites - I don't know if this is even chemically possible. I'm going to try it again the next time I mix my water just to make sure I'm not a crazy as I think.)

Joeyb1731

Large Fish
Jan 20, 2009
Oceanside NY
well im glad I have another person who is as crazy as I am with the testing and counting your inverts. I inventory them like twice a day. Haha i thought i was crazy. Just wondering, what kind of skimmer do you have darth?

Feb 8, 2009
No skimmer and honestly wasn't planning on adding one. I'm trusting in lord's guide as it hasn't failed me yet. I guess if things start dieing and I can't figure out why, I'll put one in. I know, this plan may cost me more in the long run ($40 skimmer compared to hundreds in coral and fish). Your thoughts?

Joeyb1731

Large Fish
Jan 20, 2009
Oceanside NY
Well idk i was going with the no skimmer thing. I just didnt think it was necessary considering I do water changes like they are going out of style. But some people are telling me, like my LFS that if I put one in, Ill have almost no issues with nitrite. I have the eclipse 12 and I was thinking about breaking down the stock stuff and getting a small skimmer and a different filter and another powerhead. I have a shopping cart full at petsolutions right now. Should I go for it, or stick with you?

Feb 8, 2009
Me, I would go with another PH but no skimmer. Just keep the hood as is. Maybe do some research on a DIY version of a skimmer with your current equipment? On the other hand, if you're already paying shipping charges, or can qualify for free shipping with the skimmer, and you're getting a good deal on the skimmer, it can't hurt to have it. Haha, I sure don't really help do I. I guess if you're getting a damn good $ deal (including difference in shipping) go for it. If it's just an okay deal then pass.

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2009
3/28/09

Big day.....FISH!!! Tank vitals normal this morning, except grav. went up to 1.0024. Topped off tank before PWC and cleaning. Last Nerite was upside down this morning and I think he may be dieing. Exchanged both Turbo Snails. LFS did not have the red stripped gobies yet, so they sold me on two coral gobies (yellow and green). Turned lights off and drip acclimated for 2 hours (slowly increased frequency of drip to 4/second over first 1/2 hour). Water was perfect (only 1 deg. cooler than tank temp), so netted the gobies and added to tank. Yellow goby died within minutes. :( I've already exchanged him for store credit as I didn't want to acclimate another fish that day and didn't know why he actually died. Green goby seems to be freaking out and swimming up and down the glass, but I know this is "normal" behavior for a new fish. However I have a very high current (630 GPH) in my tank and know gobies aren't big swimmers, so I turned off one power head while the lights are off. After three hours I turned dual daylight bulb, and power head, back on. Fed tank a sliver of zooplankton. Goby didn't seem to eat (still freaking out) but the hermits sure loved that stuff.

(Advice - Cleaning Substrate: I just used my hose, no gravel attachment, and held the tank end 1/2" above the sand, which worked very well. Unfortunately, this consumes a lot of water for a nano PWC. I allowed the dirt to settle at the bottom of the pitcher I was using and then scooped the top water out and back into the tank. I then repeated the process one more time. I ended taking out the exact water volume I wanted and a good deal of the "ash". I don't suggest doing this process more than a couple of times as the water that's being scooped back in isn't completely "clean", it just doesn't have the "ash" in it.)

Joeyb1731

Large Fish
Jan 20, 2009
Oceanside NY
Hey Darth, glad to hear that your moving foward, today I added a smaller powerhead on the other side of my tank, I now have 240 gph on one side and 110 on the other. My nitrites are gone today but im gonna wait till next weekend with good readings, I did a PWC today and all seems good, one of my hermits molted and switched shells and all my snails are still good, I havnt lost any inverts in 2 weeks now. I only lost 2 hermits all together and they were both very small compared to my others so maybe thats why they died, they were probably more sensitive. But again im glad to hear that things are going good, except for the dead goby :( . Keep up the journal, I check it all the time, good luck.

Joeyb1731

Large Fish
Jan 20, 2009
Oceanside NY
Darth Listen to this one, you will probably be as mad as I am right now. So after adding my 2nd powerhead I check my water this morning and I have Ammonia reading of .25 and nitrite of .25. So I called the best fish store in my county which is about 30 miles away. I told them my situation and they told me to bring my water down. I brought them the water and after discussing the look and price of my live rock they told me that my rock was not fully cured, it was actually totally uncured. So I then went on a 100 mph race to the store where I bought the live rock from. I called on the way to warn the person who sold me the "live rock" to get out of the store before I got there. I spoke to the owner of the store and told him what happened. He came with me to my house and told me that not only was the live rock not cured IT WASNT EVEN LIVE ROCK. It was base rock which was shipped to them dry, they then leave it in tubs in the back with cured and uncured live rock and let it sit. so technically I bought "dead rock" the owner told me because of the algae thats on my rock now and the fact that the rock is seeded by the uncured stuff not to take it out. He took all my snails back for credit and apologized to me, he gave me a bag of his sand from his tanks to put in mine. He also assured me that when I go back to him to buy corals that he would give me the corals that were attached to live rock and that its not that big of a deal that I started with base rock as long as I want to add corals in the future. I am so mad right now I cant even describe it. All the money/time/effort/stress, but all my questions are answered, this is why my tank is acting weird. I WANT TO SCREAM.