Molly

d3sc3n7

Superstar Fish
Nov 21, 2007
Ft. Campbell, Ky
www.d3sc3n7.com
I woke up this morning to a molly who tried to do a belly over, but got stuck half way. Would a 4-5 degree temp change cause this. I noticed that my tank temp had dropped to about 74f over night.

Big Vine

Elite Fish
Feb 7, 2006
Florida
You've got the right thought there about maintaining stable temp., but I doubt that minor of a fluctuation in temp. alone (i.e. over the course of several hours) is what ultimately did her in. Was she preggo, by any chance? I recently had a female guppy die for no apparent reason. When I did an autopsy I discovered she had a belly full of fry. (I knew she was preggo just by looking at her, but I still wanted to investigate further to rule out internal parasites---which I had sufficient cause to suspect at the time). I ruled it as a pregnancy-related death...some sort of complications, I suppose.

Sorry for your loss.
BV

d3sc3n7

Superstar Fish
Nov 21, 2007
Ft. Campbell, Ky
www.d3sc3n7.com
She didnt appear prego...however I have not got my fish doctors kit in the mail yet...stupid UPS! HAHA I'm thinking of placing a 2nd heater in the tank. I'd like to get a better heater for the guppy tank also.

BV, speaking of mysterious guppys deaths. We had 8 adult guppys. 1 got herself stuck to the filter, and 2 are still in the tank. The other 5 just up and died, water tests great! so I have no clue what the deal is. Granted I have 20 fry close to time to populate the tank. I'm still confused on what happend though.

Big Vine

Elite Fish
Feb 7, 2006
Florida
Hmm...that's strange.
Are the 20 fry in the same tank as the adults you've lost?

If so, then I'd say you might be looking at a bully who is stressing and picking at the others to death. Just a guess though. Have you noticed one of them bullying the others incessantly or anything like that? Probably you would've mentioned that already. Just throwing some ideas out there...

All I know is that if there's something in the water responsible for killing adult fish, then the fry would almost certainly succumb to it as well. You've got me stumped. :confused:

BV

TabMorte

Superstar Fish
Jan 17, 2008
Two heaters will help a lot. I think in anything bigger then 50G it's a viable option. You can put them on opposite ends of the tank and heat the water more evenly that way too!

d3sc3n7

Superstar Fish
Nov 21, 2007
Ft. Campbell, Ky
www.d3sc3n7.com
Hmm...that's strange.
Are the 20 fry in the same tank as the adults you've lost?

If so, then I'd say you might be looking at a bully who is stressing and picking at the others to death. Just a guess though. Have you noticed one of them bullying the others incessantly or anything like that? Probably you would've mentioned that already. Just throwing some ideas out there...

All I know is that if there's something in the water responsible for killing adult fish, then the fry would almost certainly succumb to it as well. You've got me stumped. :confused:

BV
EXACTLEY! Fry are in a breeder but in the same tank! No real bullies either. The 2 guppys just play around, and the 2 neons just play around. There is a pleco in there also, but he NEVER comes out of his little hidey hole. Also, the deaths started, before I got him.