Molly question

Jan 5, 2010
vancouver bc
I have a breeding pair of Mollies and the female pregnant. The other day when I came home I looked in the tank and happily noticed that my female was no longer pregnant (her huge tummy was small again like the males), but upon further inspection no fry whatsoever were found. It had been less than 18 hours since I'd checked the tank last.

I've heard from some people in this forum that a Molly can absorb her babies if she gets stressed during her pregnancy. Could this happen that quickly?? or is it more likely that my fish ate all the fry before I got home?

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
more likely that they ate them...in my 40 gal planted community somehow all my fish manage to eat any newborn swordtail fry even though my tank is very well planted u_u

bassbonediva

Superstar Fish
Oct 15, 2009
Northern Arizona
Same thing happened with my pregnant female guppy. She was pregnant one day, then the next she wasn't, but there were no fry in evidence. That's when I noticed that my two female bettas in that tank were fatter than normal and appeared to be gravid. Apparently they thought it was okay to condition themselves for breeding on my guppy fry! lol So, yeah, pretty much anything else in your tank would think that molly fry were a great snack, especially with the mix you have.

fiddlybits

Medium Fish
Jan 15, 2010
BC, Canada
I have Platies and the same thing happens- if the female gives birth in the main tank, the others follow her around, competing for the next snack. Even if they didn't get all the fry then, any survivors are in danger of being chased on sight until they grow large enough not to be eaten, which would be a month or more. If you want to raise the fry your best bet is a separate tank to raise the fry in, and a breeding trap for the female to give birth in. I suggest having no gravel in the fry tank, and a couple of young Corys to pick up dropped food. Cover the intake of the filter with a piece of fine mesh such as panty hose. Some live plants, such as water Sprite, floating or in a little pot, would be of benefit too.