Mixing platy colors?

bassbonediva

Superstar Fish
Oct 15, 2009
Northern Arizona
I've been following that thread. I'm excited for the babies 'cuz I can trade them into the LFS for store credit! Woot woot! lol Can't wait to get my bettas ready to breed either. Gonna breed my steel VT male, Garrett, and my little CT female, Alice. What they produce when crossed is called a "combtail." Something akin to this...http://www.bettatalk.com/images/melano HM geno combtail male.gif

ValRasbora

Superstar Fish
May 2, 2009
Atlantic Canada
Ooh, yes, true. I'm definetly going to be keeping little Houdini for myself- He is MINE! Yeah store credit... nice. You'll be tempted to keep a couple little babies for yourself, though, believe me. You become very attached to them. At least I did.

There's new pics of houdini up, by the way. 4 weeks old!

beckyd

Large Fish
Mar 16, 2009
Bass, lovely platies! That male is a good looking guy. I am trying to get my male red sword to breed with my blue platy female. He shows no interest in her with a female sword in the tank though.I may have to separate them into their own tank. Of course, then it dawned on me that if I bred a blue male to one of my baby lyretail sword females(cuz I can guarantee she's virgin if I separate one soon) I may get lyretail crosses with some mix of blue and orange.

Anyway, I think you will end up with a variety of sizes from your dwarf crossing. At least that's what happens when my balloon belly mollies cross with the big ones. Everybody mostly turns out a little bit in between.

I LOVE the pic of the comb tail betta. I like that better than the CT males. He looks more like the CT female's tail except long and full. Can't wait for pics. And I might need one shipped to me once they're old enough to buy/ship. Alice is blue isn't she? Should have some nice colors in the babies.

Lludu did a nice job on your signature pic. Looks great!

ValRasbora

Superstar Fish
May 2, 2009
Atlantic Canada
Are you going to start a thread on breeding? I think there are tons of people who are interested, me being one of them! I'll bet you're gonna get some gorgeous colors. I really like that combtail, too.
I was just thinking about getting a male platy to breed to my girls. Maybe a nice hi-fin.

bassbonediva

Superstar Fish
Oct 15, 2009
Northern Arizona
Bass, lovely platies! That male is a good looking guy. I am trying to get my male red sword to breed with my blue platy female. He shows no interest in her with a female sword in the tank though.I may have to separate them into their own tank. Of course, then it dawned on me that if I bred a blue male to one of my baby lyretail sword females(cuz I can guarantee she's virgin if I separate one soon) I may get lyretail crosses with some mix of blue and orange.

Anyway, I think you will end up with a variety of sizes from your dwarf crossing. At least that's what happens when my balloon belly mollies cross with the big ones. Everybody mostly turns out a little bit in between.

I LOVE the pic of the comb tail betta. I like that better than the CT males. He looks more like the CT female's tail except long and full. Can't wait for pics. And I might need one shipped to me once they're old enough to buy/ship. Alice is blue isn't she? Should have some nice colors in the babies.

Lludu did a nice job on your signature pic. Looks great!
Yes, I'm going to do a journal for my breeding. Alice is a blue with crimson fins...although in some lights she looks almost purple. I'm going to Petsmart tonight to see if I can find a male I like better than Garrett. Not that I don't love Garrett's coloring, but I don't necessarily like his attitude. I know, a weird reason to not want to breed a fish, but something just seems a little...off...about him. And becky, I'm shipping one to Kenny, so I'm sure I can ship one to you too. :p I love my sig pic! It's exactly what I wanted!

Anywho, here's some good pics of Alice and Garrett.

bassbonediva

Superstar Fish
Oct 15, 2009
Northern Arizona
Actually, all of my other males are too big to breed with Alice. She's only about 1.25" in length. Garrett (who I was going to breed her to) is about 2.5" including his finnage, so his body is almost the same length as hers. Plus I *think* at least two of my four remaining eligible bachelor male VTs are hermaphrodites, as well as being too big.

bassbonediva

Superstar Fish
Oct 15, 2009
Northern Arizona
I did! :D I found a GORGEOUS CT male who is compatible in size with Alice. He's turquoise with metallic turquoise and crimson fins. Wasn't looking for a CT, but I couldn't pass him up (and the CTs were mispriced at Petsmart, so he cost the same as a VT :O ).