Mixing platy colors?

bassbonediva

Superstar Fish
Oct 15, 2009
Northern Arizona
So, yesterday I bought my son four sunset coral dwarf platies for Christmas. I'm pretty sure (98% sure) that two of them are male and two of them are female. I know for sure one of them is female because she's about to pop with babies. :p Anyway, we were in our LFS today getting some supplies to rig up the breeding tank for my CTs and I saw some dawn platies that were just amazing (they have the blue body with the orange tail and belly). On a total impulse, I bought one after making sure that it would school with the other platies in the tank. The lady caught me a nice robust male is gorgeous coloring. She also said that the two kinds/colors would cross breed. Is this true? If so, what kind of coloring could I expect from the crossing? If I had known about the dawns before we got the sunset corals, we would have gone with the dawns, even though they're a little more expensive. :D

brian1973

Superstar Fish
Jan 20, 2008
Corpus Christi, Texas
Yea all platies will crossbreed, they are all one species. As for the coloration I dont think that can be predicted however in most animals the darker colors are dominant genes but how that relates to fish for sure I can't say.

bassbonediva

Superstar Fish
Oct 15, 2009
Northern Arizona
I thought so, but wasn't sure. What I think I was mainly wondering about is the fact that the dawn is a regular-sized platy, but the sunset corals are dwarfs. They are MUCH smaller than the dawn is. Even the very pregnant female is smaller than he is by at least 1/4" and she's the biggest of the four sunset corals. That leads me to wonder about their size. Hrm...we shall see, I guess.

bassbonediva

Superstar Fish
Oct 15, 2009
Northern Arizona
So, I'm getting a pineapple lyretail platy today (hopefully female), and I'm gonna see if she'll mate with my male dawn. A couple of reasons behind this...1. I want to see what color/tail combinations I can get...and 2. I really like the pineapple lyretails anyway :p

ValRasbora

Superstar Fish
May 2, 2009
Atlantic Canada
:) nice. I'm just gonna say, that unless it's a show-quality platy, it's probably gonna produce a lot of different colors. Anyways, hopefully it'll turn out really nicely. Any pictures of Mr. Dawn platy yet?

bassbonediva

Superstar Fish
Oct 15, 2009
Northern Arizona
:) nice. I'm just gonna say, that unless it's a show-quality platy, it's probably gonna produce a lot of different colors. Anyways, hopefully it'll turn out really nicely. Any pictures of Mr. Dawn platy yet?
Not yet. I'm hoping to get some tonight, though. :) I have to steal my dad's camera to get any pics. :p I also got a marigold variatus yesterday (instead of the creamsicle lyretail, because the creamsicle lyretail ended up being a molly, not a platy...yeah, my brain doesn't remember things well!), so I'll include a pic of her so you can compare the colors.

Aug 16, 2009
SW Pennsylvania
Good luck! I've seen many platy births. The babies are very tiny compared to other babies, like molly babies. Watch they don't escape the breeder's box (that's how most of mine died) or get caught in the filter (that happened a lot, too.) Also, platies don't school. They kind of "hang out" together. Best of luck!

bassbonediva

Superstar Fish
Oct 15, 2009
Northern Arizona
The pregnant mommas are going in a separate tank when they're closer to giving birth. In fact, it looks like we should be having babies in the next week or so from the little sunset corals (I have two females and it appears that they both came pregnant).

Still working on those stinkin' pics! I hate not having my own camera!

bassbonediva

Superstar Fish
Oct 15, 2009
Northern Arizona
Alright! I *finally* got pics of everybody! Yeesh! I kept forgetting to grab that camera from my parents' house. *crazysmil It sucks not having your own camera!

Alrighty, so we first have the dawn male (still unnamed). He was really hard to get pics of! In the third pic, it shows him and the variatus (for comparison). He's on the right, she's on the left.

Attachments

bassbonediva

Superstar Fish
Oct 15, 2009
Northern Arizona
Alright! I *finally* got pics of everybody! Yeesh! I kept forgetting to grab that camera from my parents' house. *crazysmil It sucks not having your own camera!

Alrighty, so we first have the dawn male (still unnamed). He was really hard to get pics of! In the third pic, it shows him and the variatus (for comparison). He's on the right, she's on the left.
Wow, did not know those pics were gonna come out so crappy and small! Let me try this again. Same pics, just hopefully an easier-to-view format.

bassbonediva

Superstar Fish
Oct 15, 2009
Northern Arizona
Thanks! He's a character. I'm pretty sure my variatus is days away from giving birth (she's in the nursery tank now, just in case). And at least one of my female sunset dwarfs looks about ready to pop too! I'm just gonna have babies coming out my ears!! (Getting ready to breed the bettas :) ).