Midas~RedDevil

casshan

Medium Fish
Apr 20, 2007
Modesto, CA
Is there really a difference? I know they can be crossbred and looking at pics and live specimens actually havent provided me any clues:confused: . I can't seem to find a definative answer. I bought my little Midas female at PetSmart under the presumption she is Midas. I just want to know for my own edification; & I strongly doubt that my little Midas female (who is affectionately named Aurora [Goddess of the Dawn]) will suffer from an identity crisis.

SinisterKisses

Superstar Fish
Jan 30, 2007
Basically, 99.9 percent of "Midas" or "RDs" floating around the stores in the hobby are actually a mix of the two. The only definite way to get a pure fish of either species these days is to order through a very reputable breeder, like Jeff Rapps. Otherwise, you can bet an LFS purchased fish is a cross of the two. Occasionally you can luck out, but Petsmart midas are mixes. So your girl is almost certainly a mix of both :) Generally the only differences visually are that a Midas is stocker and beefier, with a shorter body and chunky face in appearance. RDs are more slender looking, with a pointier head and often larger lips. Personally, I prefer Midas myself, but their temperments and characteristics other than that are basically the same.

casshan

Medium Fish
Apr 20, 2007
Modesto, CA
Wow

Although I'm not a newb, (just new to MFT.net). I appreciate all the help & fast responses (Yay, I came to rite place). I mean it sux when Ive got a question about fish, because everyone at my store looks at me like, "shouldnt you know already". And I pride myself in my hobby. Also, most of my LFS (mom&pop and retail) dont know much about fish either.