MELAFIX what do you all think of

Feb 2, 2003
North Dakota
^^^Thats what I say^^^^

Sailfin- I know that it is the melifix because previously I would do nothing for my fished fins if they were ripped, apart from removeing the fish that ripped it if there was one, and the fins would stay ripped and would not heal in any noticable amount of time. Your fancy tail guppies might grow there fins back more easily then vail Anglefish. Ripps in angelfish fins seem to hange around for a long time if they are more serious then simple end shredding at least in my experiance they do.

Last edited:
Jul 8, 2003
New Jersey
Hey Sailfin- I do think you used Melafix before and have you saw any results using it? Also I do agree with Amazon about the Angelfish. I have a marble for about 3 months but it's fins are starting to hang like those of an adult. And Once I don't know how but the net I was using made a huge gash in it's tail. Besides heart broken and worried I just removed the carbon and added melafix. What the heck is Tea Extract that is said to help fish so much?

prhelp

Large Fish
Apr 26, 2003
San Francisco Bay Area
Visit site
Three things, Sailfin et al:

- You're correct about the placebo effect description -- however, neither Leopardess nor any other owner would "feel that effect" -- only the subjects being administered the med vs. sugar pill can report. So, unless you can get the fish to talk, it's not a valid analogy.

- Yes, the fact that it has 1 percent oil is meaningless. If your water had 1 percent chloramine, how long do you think your fish would live?

- Leopardess did a properly controlled experiment and seemed to have success.

Implying that someone is being duped because they "smell" something -- when they've seen results with their own eyes -- is just a little bit condescending. If it hasn't worked for you, then it hasn't worked for you -- doesn't mean it won't work for anyone. That's bad logic.

Originally posted by weasle
lol take a pill that has only 1% cyanide in it and see if you dont get sick...quantity has nothing to do with the potential of a medication.
That is absolutely incorrect. When any substance is diluted enough, it will lose it's potential to have an effect. Your analogy is fallacious on a multitude of levels.

weasle

Small Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Originally posted by Twinbot
That is absolutely incorrect. When any substance is diluted enough, it will lose it's potential to have an effect. Your analogy is fallacious on a multitude of levels.
ok forget the analogy and read the second half of the statement!

yes but we all know that fish are veryyy conscious of anything put in the tank...even the most minute levels of medicine or contaminants. Their ability to detect changes is water chemistry is far beyond our abilities and I don't think we understand what it is like to be able to be affected by something so "diluted".

so, I suggest you take a cyanide pill with 1% concentration every day for 14 days and let us know how you feel. Medicines can build up, especially in water, and soon the levels will raise to say, 5 or 10%...that is enough to notice no matter how you look at it.

if fish can be affected by a tank that isn't done cycling, and has ammonia and nitrate levels of .50 ppm, they can feel that. That leads me to believe they can feel, say, 10ppm of a med.

Last edited:

Iggy

Superstar Fish
Jun 25, 2003
Leduc, AB, Canada
Visit site
Conclusions?

1. Melafix may or may not help with fin regeneration and cuts.
2. Melafix will not likely prevent or cure severe diseases.
3. Use targeted medications for specific illnesses - not cure-alls.
4. Melafix smells nice :) and makes the water more bubbly.

Anything else?

Papillon

Large Fish
Jun 15, 2003
Montclair, NJ
Visit site
So going back to my original post, it seems as though this "medication" isn't all that effective in some aspects... So then what is the best medecine to use as a preventative in our tanks, to stop any potential diseases etc? Of course, apart from good water changes ......

Jun 25, 2003
Visit site
i don't think there is any one medication that can stop all diseases. you could use all the preventatives in the world, but if ick or velvet or a fungus is somehow introduced to your tank, then your fish will still be at risk. so i can't really ive you any specific "medication"

however there are things that we can put in tanks to try and improve the overall health of our fish. stress coat is probably the most common, and i assume most agree that it works well.

a lot of the others are debated (as you can see from above), but as with anything, you'll have those who believe they work and those who don't. personally, i use stress zyme, aquarium salt, and occasionally melafix. and i say this at the risk of sparking more debate, but those three are what have worked for me.

which leads me to my next point. lately, papillon, it seems that you haven't had the best luck with your bettas. but you have put a lot of effort into them and asked a lot of questions and i'm sure tried different ideas, and i commend you for that. trying different things is the only way to find out what will work for you. there's really no proven, sure-fire cure all way. some meds have different results for everybody.

i think the best advice i can give you right now is to just try melafix (or stress coat/zyme, salt, etc.) and see what it does for you. some things may have an affect, some may not. but whatever you find works for you, stick to it.

we could argue about how well melafix works for days, but that won't change how well it works for you. all we can do is tell you what it does for us personally. you may find it works great, you may find it doesn't do anything. but you won't know until you try it at least. The best method of determining effectiveness is personal experience.

and of course water changes, good filtration, watch your levels, and you should be fine. Good luck, hope i helped :)

catfishmike

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Sin City, again...
it's like this mealfix does work,not for everything obviously.it can't kill a heavy ick infection but it does work.tea tree oil is used in many anti-bacteria products.it's like using neosporin on a cut.it works on minor wounds but it's not going to patch you up after some major trauma.as for fin regeneration,fins regenerate on their own,the rate of regeneration is based on the health of the fish and the quality of food fed to the fish.

wethead

Large Fish
Jun 7, 2003
Phila. Burbs
Visit site
If any of you are really interested, i suggest you do a google search.
I think you all will be surprized how long tea tree oil has been around in the pet or pharm. industy,years & years.
Aquarium Pharm. is the first to "water" it down in a small dose thats safe enough for our fish.
It can be downright dangerous in other applications if not used with care. Do some research, it's really fascinating stuff....Rich
(ps) when i've used it, it's cured little cuts on MY hands !

colesea

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
NY USA
Okay, I guess it is time to add something from a medical standpoint.

Whether or not Melafix "works" on "curing" fish of disease depends on four factors:
1) What disease the fish has
2) How far progressed that disease is
3) What is Melafix's target system and its active ingrediant
4) The state of health of the fish before it got the disease

It's been a long while for me, because I have not used it in a while and do not have a bottle of it in front of me. But from memory, Melafix is a topical, used to treat skin (scale) infections that are fungal, bacterial, or "minor" trama related. In essense, it probably does help with fin repair and surface wounds the same way neosporian for us does. But neosporian won't cure gang-green, and Melafix sure ain't gonna cure a fish with rot half-way through a caudal peduncal.

Regardless of the smell (smell is no indication of potency or activity), if used in the right concentrations on the right regime, Melafix probably does do what it is intended to do. I know I have used it before with pretty decent results. Primarily I used it in a propholactic fashion, dosing the tanks of newly arrived fish with the stuff the same way people use "Stress Coat." I even find the smell pleasent.

What Melafix is not intended to do is cure serious disease. Any one of a number of "minor" surface infections can spread systemicaly, causing septic poisoning and organ damage. Nor does Melafix prevent re-infections, such as occures in major Ich infestations, where the environment is contaminated. Melafix is also not intended to de-contaminate the environment, so a fish that is suffering from nitrates or ammonia toxcity is not going to get "cured" by Melafix.

So people's success rate with Melafix will depend upon several factors as well, the most important one is "HAVE THEY DIAGONSED THE DISEASE CORRECTLY?" This is very rarely the case, seeing as how most "fungus" diseases are really bacterial infections, which is why anti-fungal medications don't work on them. Fortunately most medications in the fish world use broad spectrum poisons (copper sufate, formaldehyde, malachite green, etc) that kill most known fish parasites of the bacterial, fungal, or protozoan kind. So even with a mis-diagnosis, people will "cure" their fish because the medication they got is a "kill-all."

THE ONLY DIFFERANCE BETWEEN A MEDICATION AND A POISON IS THE CONCENTRATION. All medications are poisons when administered incorrectly. If any of you use Fontline or Advantix or Bio-Spot on your dogs and cats, you are in essense giving your animals the same insecticidal poisons farmers use in their fields. The difference being is the concentration, frequency of dose, and carrier mechanism. Same with fish. That's why it is very important not to chronically overdose fish tanks with medications. Effective levels kill the disease, overdoses kill the fish. Half the problem is that some people see "no effect" in the time frame they believe the fish should be "cured" (usually overnight and miraculasly), and just keep adding and adding medications, or worst off, mixing medications, which is only going to make the fish sicker in the long run.

Also people are faster to blame disease than environmental conditions. My theory on this is because of denial. People can't bare the thought that they themselves are responsible for their fish's illness simply because they are crappy aquarist, so they will readily blame some "unknown contaminate that is out of their control" rather than their own bad tank-keeping. Usually most fish "diseases" will clear up without the use of any medications once the water quality has been brought up to snuff, provided the immune system is not severely compromised. This could be why many people have had no success with Melafix. Treating fish diseases must be done in a holistic fashion, regardless of the medications used.

As far as the placebo effect and fish keepers, the analogy used before is correct, but I think the word you want is denial, not placebo. Most people will project what they want to see into their sick animal, I see it happen all the time at the veternarian's office where I work. If people want their animal to get well enough, they will say "Oh, Fluffy looks much better this morning" even if the animal looks like crap. Sometimes people project their own anxities into their pets as an "illness" even though the animal is fine. That doesn't mean a medication works because you want it to work, it just means that people are simply mental cases. People will believe that "Fluffy will be fine" even if the doctor gives Fluffy a shot of saline instead of medication, and may even project that Fluffy is better even if the animal is not. This is of course is completely medically unethical. But I have used the psycological benefits of the "placebo effect" on my kids at camp. I would give them "homesickness pills" that would make their homesickness go away. Of course, the "homesickness pills" were usually Good&Plenty's. Miraculusly, the homesickness would go away. Go figure.

For a placebo study to be completely valid, it must be done double blind, which means the researcher administering the pill doesn't know which is the medication and which is the placebo anymore than the test subject reciving the pill does. This eliminates the researcher's "powers of suggestion" which could plant cause and effect in the test subject's mind. Of course a third party keeps it all strait. A double blind study is more statistically valid than just a placebo study.

If anybody wants to post the active ingrediant of Melefix, I'll look it up in my pharmacy book and see what it is intended to use.
~~Colesea

wethead

Large Fish
Jun 7, 2003
Phila. Burbs
Visit site
Melaleuca alternifolia is the latin name for the main ingrediant in mela-fix, commonly called tea tree oil.
I once had a clown loach that got a pretty bad scrape from the fish- catcher at my lfs & i did'nt notice it till i put him in my hosp./quar. tank so i dosed it with mela-fix.
It took a week but cured the scrape completely. The only thing was, the color never came back to that spot.
Of course, you can guess what my wife called him, SPOT No surprize there....Rich